Topic Options
#23390 - 07/01/09 11:21 AM Dying server: migrating Watch
JediToby Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
After many long years of service, the server that runs Watch (and Image) for us is exhibiting signs of old age (forgetting file names, lost indexes, disk needs to be checked frequently). Is there a way to minimize the interruption of migrating to a new server? The biggest time**** would seem to be in the registration process.

While we're at it, what folders/files should I be copying over to make sure I have everything on the new server?

Dim null as nothing = "42"

#23391 - 07/01/09 11:40 AM Re: Dying server: migrating Watch
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
JediToby,

Unfortunately, there is no ways to avoid the reactivation process if you migrate to a new server, since the magic number will be different. You'll need to send your new magic number to activations, and get a new activation code. You might have to agree to a license transfer agreement as well. Activations will provide you with the details of this procedure.

For the files to copy, you'll want to make sure you have a backup of the Watch config. You should do File->Save As, and save a .pw5 file, which you'll just have to open on the new machine. It will contain your config. You'll also want to copy the compiled ptk files to avoid recompiling them. They are located in:
C:\Program Files\PlanetPress Suite 5\PlanetPress Watch\Documents

Make backup of these files, and place them in the same directory on the new machine.

That should be all what you need.

Regards,
Rapha

#23392 - 07/01/09 11:48 AM Re: Dying server: migrating Watch
JediToby Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks, Raphael. I've got my License Transfer doc handy.

Dim null as nothing = "42"

Moderator:  OL Newsgroup Support