Topic Options
#39799 - 06/07/12 01:38 PM Printing multiple copies from one data page
Patrick at TPi Offline
OL User

I have a statement that I am working on that the data is coming in multiple records per data page. These records contain the name and address of the recipients and each statement could have multiple recipients. I am trying to figure out a good way to print multiple copies of the statement, each printed with different recipient information from a single data page.

I currently have it working using conditions that control 8 different copies of the statement page but this could turn into a maintenance nightmare with multiple pages to modify if anything changes. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Patrick

Edited by Patrick at TPi (06/07/12 03:01 PM)

#39801 - 06/07/12 03:17 PM Re: Print multiple copies from one set of data records [Re: Patrick at TPi]
Marc-André Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montréal
Hi Patrick,

What could be done to simplify the maintenance would be to create one overlay with all the information you need mapped.

When you create the page double click on it and go to Basic Attributes and change the Page Type to Overlay or if you already have a working page like you want, just convert it to an overlay.

Then you would create as many pages as you need for your other customer you want and leave those pages blank and go into the basic attributes of the page and change the page type to overlay.Then in the Overlays settings choose the Overlay you have created/converted. You would use your existing conditions in order to display the number of pages wanted on the blank pages.

But that way you would only have one simple overlay to maintain instead of many different pages.

Let me know if you have any questions on this.

Best Regards,

Marc

#39802 - 06/07/12 03:42 PM Re: Print multiple copies from one set of data records [Re: Marc-André]
Patrick at TPi Offline
OL User

Thanks for the info Marc I DO appreciate it!

I like the overlay idea, but another issue I was just made aware of is, there can be an indefinite number of recipients, so I really cannot plan on a fixed number of possible recipients. Now what?!?

#39803 - 06/07/12 03:53 PM Re: Print multiple copies from one set of data records [Re: Patrick at TPi]
Marc-André Offline
OL Expert

Hi Patrick,

How are you printing this out?

If you are using the workflow tool and an output queue it might be possible.

Are you simply wanting to print the same identical page but just the number of times for the number or recipients you have?

If so. What could be done. If there is a way to look in your data for the number of recipients. We can then do a set/jobinfo and store that number in a variable.

Then in the output print queue if you go into the advanced tab you will see that the field for the number of copies is maroon.

That means you can use a variable in there. So we could use that variable you just created and it will print the number of copies we need dynamically depending on the number we grabbed from your data file.

Let me know what you think,

Regards,

Marc

#39804 - 06/07/12 04:02 PM Re: Print multiple copies from one set of data records [Re: Marc-André]
Patrick at TPi Offline
OL User

We're printing to an output queue.

The copies are identical, EXCEPT for the recipient name and address on the statement. It is an insurance cancellation notice so everyone that has an "interest" in what ever the policy is covering gets a copy of the notice.

This is something we need to be able to automate in Watch so there is no manual intervention.

#39807 - 06/07/12 04:56 PM Re: Print multiple copies from one set of data records [Re: Patrick at TPi]
Marc-André Offline
OL Expert

Hi Patrick,

I have a feeling we are looking at this wrong.

So you are telling me that it will be the same pages but you have different names and addresses in your data?

What type of Data is it? All you would need to do is make sure that your names and addresses are different records. That way PlanetPress will automatically handle the number of pages that you want.

You might want to open up a support ticket for us to be able to look at the Design file you created and the data that you are using and see if there is approach to take that will make this task a lot simpler then it seems right now.

http://www.objectiflune.com/OL/en-US/Services/Support/ReportIssue/PlanetPressSuite.aspx

If you do open up a support ticket make sure to include the Design file you are using and a sample of your data.

Best Regards,

Marc