Topic Options
#54511 - 02/03/17 10:05 AM Proof Of Printing
Dean Offline
OL Newbie

Good Afternoon

I am looking to develop a workflow that will split a file of pdfs based on metadata, and then distribute each subset ideally to different print queues, or perhaps folders. Not sure yet.

Whichever way I do it however, I really do need to report back to the internal department that originated the output the fact that the documents have been printed. Not generated, or sent to the printer, but actually printed.

Is there a slick way of achieving this between using the workflow and/or printer itself?

Many thanks in advance
Dean

#54512 - 02/03/17 10:30 AM Re: Proof Of Printing [Re: Dean]
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
Hi Dean,

I do not believe that there's any real way to confirm that it "actually" printed. Once PlanetPress sends the job to the printer, it no longer has any access to it. You can confirm that the job is generated, and sent to the printer, but what actually happens after that is out of control of PlanetPress. Closest thing I can think of is using the SNMP Condition to check if the printer is actually printing, but there's no way to be sure WHAT is printing. Could be the PlanetPress job, could be something else entirely...

This kind of information is more something that you'd find on the printer itself. Check if your printer has any ways to keep track of the number of jobs that prints, you may also be able to find how many printed, and how many errored out. Again, the flaw here is that the printer will keep track of ALL jobs, not just the PPress ones. So unless you have a dedicated printer for your PlanetPress application, this might not be reliable.

Regards,
Raphaƫl Lalonde-Lefebvre

#54515 - 02/03/17 12:10 PM Re: Proof Of Printing [Re: Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre]
Dean Offline
OL Newbie

Thanks

Appreciate your speedy response.

Have a good weekend.
Dean