Topic Options
#39282 - 04/20/12 03:58 AM How to get the metadata to the output page
Frankie Offline
OL Toddler

Hi,
Since I was the new one to use the metadata as the data to desgin the form. And I know some of information such as date of the input file can get from the metadata. Could you tell me how to get it out and print it in the output document?
Thanks
Frankie

#39292 - 04/20/12 12:48 PM Re: How to get the metadata to the output page [Re: Frankie]
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
Frankie,

If you want to extract the date from the metadata and show it in your form, you will need to make a data selection on that metadata field.

First, in the Document Structure, right-click on "Metadata fields", and do "Refresh Metadata", to create a sample metadata file for that form. Then, create a data selection, make it a custom data selection, then right-click in the field and do "Data selection". In the data selector, go to the Metadata tab, and from there, on the Document level, you can get the "Date" field that will contain the date the job was submitted. There is also a "Time" field if you need that as well. Select the field, click "OK and then you should have a data selection with the metadata! Note that you can use the "Data selection" from the right-click anywhere where you can enter variable expressions. Compile this form to Workflow, and don't forget to put a Create Metadata action before your output in PlanetPress Workflow. And your job has to run Optimized PostScript. With this, you should be able to extract the date and/or time from the meatdata.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
RaphaŽl Lalonde Lefebvre

#39315 - 04/23/12 01:36 AM Re: How to get the metadata to the output page [Re: Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre]
Frankie Offline
OL Toddler

Hi Raphael,
Thanks your suggestion.
I can get the metadata now!
Thanks
Frankie

#39599 - 05/18/12 03:46 PM Re: How to get the metadata to the output page [Re: Frankie]
Tracey Y Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Ohio
Hi Raphael.

I was looking to do the same thing, but use added metadata from the workflow after a "Lookup in Excel" plugin has been run. How do I get the added field result on the designed form?

#39600 - 05/18/12 03:53 PM Re: How to get the metadata to the output page [Re: Tracey Y]
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
Tracey,

To make it easy, you'll need to load a copy of the metadata file in the Design form after it has been processed through the Lookup in Excel plugin. Obviously, you'll need to save the metadata file somehow. Easiest way to do it is to use the "Metadata File Management" plugin after the "Lookup in Excel", and then use the option to save the metadata file. This will save the metadata file in a folder of your choice. From there, you can open your form in Design, and load that file as the sample metadata file by going in the data selector under the "Metadata" tab.

Once you have loaded the metadata file, you can use the instructions I've posted in my previous post on how to put it in the Design form. The new fields added by the "Lookup in Excel" plugin should be available.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
RaphaŽl Lalonde Lefebvre

#39721 - 05/31/12 01:59 PM Re: How to get the metadata to the output page [Re: Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre]
Tracey Y Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Ohio
Thanks Raphael!
I got it to work just fine!

I had to remove the Create Metadata before the output because I had it at the beginning before the lookup for excel first and it didn't work at the end a second time.