Topic Options
#39674 - 05/27/12 12:30 PM Setting up an array
pmmsuperman1 Offline
OL Newbie

I need a little help with how I set up an array. I know how to represent it mathematically...but that's a different story! There are two things I am trying to do. We were thinking about setting up an array so that the values are already loaded into memory before the job begins to speed things up.

1. I have 30 +/- market identifiers. Each of them has a unique unit type associate with them. There are only two unit types: either 10 or 20.

2. Can picture assets be set up in an array? If so, how?

Thank you

#39688 - 05/28/12 04:38 PM Re: Setting up an array [Re: pmmsuperman1]
Olivier J Offline
OL Expert

Loc: OL Montreal
Hi pmmsuperman1,

Please clarify your needs and questions. Currently it is a bit too vague for us to enlighten you.

Can you explain what are market identifiers? Can you clarify why you need arrays? Explain a bit what you have as data input format, what end result you need, and if possible try to include examples to illustrate your questions/needs.

Thanks. Regards,
Olivier

#39689 - 05/28/12 04:41 PM Re: Setting up an array [Re: Olivier J]
Olivier J Offline
OL Expert

About the images in an array, well you could put paths and/or filenames in an array of strings, but you cannot put the image "code" in the field. Also, please explain the need for the array in this case?

Thanks. Regards,
Olivier

#39713 - 05/30/12 01:30 PM Re: Setting up an array [Re: Olivier J]
CASH Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: TX, The Country of Texas!
The reason for arrays is to speed up the processing of document creation as memory is 10^6 times faster than disk. There are 47 markets in which we have customers. Each market has a discrete energy type associated with it--gas or electric. We want to program in an array value that represents the energy type as defined by the market within the documents themselves. In other words, if the market is AGL, the units (energy type) inserted into the variable field will be "therms"
We are working with XML for one group of documents and CSV for another.
If PlanetPress supported larger than a 1x array, I would load all of the table data at one time into memory from which the processes would pull.
I understand that this is a rather vague request specific to arrays; however, I can't get anyone knowledgeable about performance tuning to have a discussion. So...until then, I will pick the processes apart one-by-one!
In any event, I still need to understand how to set them up and if there are any limits to the number of arrays that can be used at a time.
Thank you! (pmmsuperman@gmail.com)

Edited by CASH (05/30/12 01:31 PM)

#39715 - 05/30/12 03:21 PM Re: Setting up an array [Re: CASH]
Olivier J Offline
OL Expert

Hi CASH,

I think there is a misunderstanding about the PlanetPress flow, and using arrays in a form to load those values would actually add overhead since it would be an extra task that is not necessary. A PlanetPress form is intended to be outputted as a PS file, either to be converted to PDF, or interpreted as is by a printer RIP. Loading those values from a file to put them in an array, to then read them from there, would actually be an extra step, compared to showing/building logic, using the data directly.

Since this whole discussion is based likely on a misunderstanding (on either side, to be determined...), I would recommend you open a ticket with tech support so we can actually discuss this all, while also doing a remote session, looking at the resources and discussing the needs and possible approaches.

What is the end result expected? Is it to show "10" on the form when we find "electric" in the data and "20" when we find "gas"? If so, such logics don't need arrays, or any variables for that matter.

Please advise.
Regards,
Olivier