Extended characters

Posted by: MsDonuts

Extended characters - 08/17/07 09:53 AM

How do I include a bullet or a registered trademark symbol in a document?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Extended characters - 08/17/07 03:43 PM

The Superscript functionality is not implemented in PlanetPress designer tool but you can easily get the result using a dedicated text box (just for the

Re: Extended characters - 08/20/07 06:45 PM

Hello,

If you are looking for characters that cannot be typed normally on a keyboard, have a look at the encoding tables of your styles.

If you look up encoding tables in the help file, there is some good information there that explains how to accomplsih this.
Posted by: jonray74

Re: Extended characters - 01/21/09 02:49 PM

is there a way to do a Superscript within the Paragraph function like the following?

(example.)
define(&variable, string, @(72,1,20))

setstyle(&default)
beginparagraph(0,6,0,'left',0.1598)
show('Copyright ')
setstyle(&small_font)
rmoveto(0,-0.06)
show(char(169))
setstyle(&default_font)
endparagraph
Posted by: Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre

Re: Extended characters - 01/21/09 02:56 PM

jonray,

You cannot place anything other than "show" and "setstyle" within a beginparagraph.

Here's a modified version of the code that will work:
Code:
setstyle(&Default)
show('Copyright ')
endparagraph
setstyle(&Small)
rmoveto(0,-0.06)
show(char(169))
This will display "Copyright", along with the

Re: Extended characters - 01/21/09 03:01 PM

i know rmoveto can't be done in Paragraph for PP6. In PP3 it was okay.

The new code you showed looks valid for one line text, but we have projects that involve paragraph wrappings with variables inside paragraph and also must include superscripts.

how do we do that?

Re: Extended characters - 01/21/09 03:06 PM

if I had the line for instance

setstyle(&default)
show('This line must be wrapped and must include the variable amount of '+ &variable +', how do we do this?')
setstyle(&small_font)
rmoveto(1.30,-0.06)
show('*')
setstyle(&default_font)
endparagraph

I know the code above is not valid since rmoveto doesn't work within Paragraph function, so how do I for instance from the example above superscript the "*" just right after the word amount?

Re: Extended characters - 01/21/09 03:44 PM

jonray,

There wouldn't be any easy ways to add the '*' before the amount word dynamically, since it's not really possible to get the position it's at.

If "amount" is going to be static, it may be best to just put the '*' into a second data selection, and manually place it next to "amount". Another possibility would be to use a superscripted font, if you have one. If you had one, you could use a combination of show and setstyle to do the superscripting.

Otherwise, there's no real way to do it. "True" superscripting is not supported in our software, so while in some cases it's possible to simulate it in PressTalk or by placing data selections/text objects containing the characters, in a paragraph-based text it's not really possible, unless you have a superscripted font.

Regards,
Rapha

Re: Extended characters - 01/21/09 03:49 PM

i understand, but the rmoveto was possible in Planet Press 3 within the paragraph function? how come it was removed in version 6?

Now we have to spend on Superscripted fonts just to get this working? This would have been easy if there was a standard function in PP6 to kinda do a superscript on a particular character wouldn't it?

Re: Extended characters - 01/21/09 04:18 PM

PressTalk interpreter has changed in version 6, and many things that were allowed(often wrongly) are no longer possible.

I did came up with something for your code. It's a bit more advanced, but should work. First, create a global function, and use this code:

Code:
function @Superscript(&super:string, &x:measure, &y:measure)
  SetStyle(&Small)
  moveto(&x, &y - 0.06)
  show(&super)
  moveto(&x, &y)
endfunction()  
This displays whatever character you want slightly above the current y position. Then, in your presstalk, you can use this code:

Code:

setstyle(&Default)
show('This line must be wrapped and must include the variable amount')
endparagraph
@SuperScript('*', &current.x, &current.y)
setstyle(&Default)
rmoveto(0, -0.1598)
beginparagraph(0,6,&current.x,'left',0.1598)
show(' of '+ &variable +', how do we do this?')
endparagraph
The idea is to split the paragraph in two blocks of code, and call the superscript function in between, and use & current.x as the first indentation of the second paragraph. I tested this code with both Helvetica and Courier(a proportional and non-proportional font), and both worked, also tried putting more text and that worked too, so this code seems good.

Regards,
Rapha

Re: Extended characters - 01/21/09 04:50 PM

oh my goodness!!! you my man are by far the most innovative PlanetPress script programmer i've known so far!!!

It works!!!!!!!!!!! wohoo!!! Thanks a lot!!!

*beer* for ya!

Re: Extended characters - 01/21/09 04:55 PM

My pleasure. smile
Posted by: Cathy Cox

Re: Extended characters - 01/21/09 04:58 PM

I tried to add a bullet by using Alt + 0149 into a document. It shows up correctly on the screen but when i print the bullets don't display?

why would this happen? How can i fix it?

Re: Extended characters - 01/21/09 07:08 PM

Cathy,

A workaround might be necessary.
For example, in the style encoding, the character 230 could be replaced with the correct glyph (from the available glyphs list), then create a data selection, select custom data selection and use: =\'346'
346 is the octal correspondance for decimal 230.
It should print the bullet character.
Posted by: E-script Europe B.V.

Re: Extended characters - 01/29/09 03:54 AM

Cathy,

Perhaps the default encoding settings for your style in Design are set to Default in stead of i.e. Microsoft Windows Codepage 1252(Latin 1).

You can find this setting in PP Design, in your document structure at the "Styles" sub.
Doubleclick the style used en check the settings for "Encoding".

It should work fine, only subscript of superscript for the Registered sign isn't available in the fonts in PlanetPress.

Greetings,

Coen Harbers
ICT-manager
E-script Europe B.V.