Run External Program after Image creates PDF

Posted by: Guy K

Run External Program after Image creates PDF - 10/16/14 04:07 PM

I may be missing something obvious here, but...

I would like to run an external application (External Program) after an Image task has created a PDF; however, the Image task (from my understanding) runs asynchronously so I have no way of knowing when the it has actually finished other than by attempting to see if a PDF file with the name I'm expecting exists. That's not a fool-proof solution either though, as I could have an existing PDF sitting on the file-system with the same name that the Image task is going to overwrite.

Is there a way to force a SINGLE Image task (i.e. not for the entire Watch Process or workflow) to either
A) run synchronously or
B) run an external program only once Image has finished creating the PDF?

If any more info/explanation is needed I would be happy to provide it.

Thanks a bunch in advance!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Run External Program after Image creates PDF - 10/16/14 04:40 PM

Guy
As you noted, Image runs asynchronously, meaning it does what its work, when it wants, independent of the process that sent work to it.

Are you using Watch, Office or Production?

Can you use a 'Digital Action' or 'CreatePDF' action? These can run synchronously (as can a send to folder action) so you can have the sequence of events you named. These are only available in specific versions of the workflow, so if you do not see them, then it is not available unless you upgrade.