Magic-Number

Posted by: wjung

Magic-Number - 05/19/15 09:00 AM

Can you give me a complete list of components that are used to calculate the magic number?
Posted by: Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre

Re: Magic-Number - 05/19/15 02:49 PM

Hi wjung,

Well, I probably can't give you a complete list, as we don't necessarily want to divulge too much information on our copy-protection system. But the main ones are the hard disk and operating system. If you change your hard disk (including repartitioning, or changing disk space on a VM, etc...), or upgrade your version of Windows (including Windows Updates), you risk having a magic number change, and need to reactivate the software. However, in any case, you should always be ready to expect a magic number change whenever you make a major hardware change on any machines that uses PlanetPress.

Do you have a specific scenario in mind? Maybe you can tell us what you want to accomplish, and we can tell you whether or not you risk having a magic number change.

Regards,
Raphaƫl Lalonde Lefebvre
Posted by: Mark Francisco

Re: Magic-Number - 02/13/19 09:41 AM

I wasn't sure if I should reply to this post or create a new one, but since my question directly relates to Magic Number, I'll start with a reply question...

Is the Computer Name and/or IP Address used in generating the Magic Number? Below is more detail regarding my question...

We currently have PlanetWatch, Image, & Fax running on a Windows 7 machine, and are preparing to migrate to Windows 10, both are VM. The Win10 machine was cloned from the Win7, upgraded to Win10, the OL licenses have been transferred to the new Win10 machine, and a transition license has been applied to the old Win7 machine.

The plan for switching machines is to rename the computer name and IP address of the new machine to that of the Win7 machine, and give the old Win7 machine a new name and IP address; all DNS information will remain the same.
Posted by: Yannick Fortin

Re: Magic-Number - 02/13/19 11:42 AM

It shouldn't have any impact, but I suggest that you try it out beforehand by assigning a placeholder name and IP address to see how it will react to an identity change.
Posted by: Mark Francisco

Re: Magic-Number - 02/13/19 03:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Yannick!