Migration Questions: New machine from 4 to 7

Posted by: John K.

Migration Questions: New machine from 4 to 7 - 03/22/12 01:28 PM

I am presently considering a Suite upgrade from v4 to v7 while moving to a fresh install W2K8 64 bit machine from a W2K3.

I looked at the migration KB's and they seem to be very clear and concise. Is it just that simple to upgrade/migrate or are there 'gotchas' I need to look out for?

Also, I would like the ability to create PDF's for email attachment. We have never previously done this with PP. Is the suite all I need for such a project?

Thanks,

John
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Migration Questions: New machine from 4 to 7 - 03/22/12 01:39 PM

There's no way to really cover all the possible ways in which upgrading from v4 to v7 could happen, so in reality there is only one tip: Test, Test, Test!

It's extremely important to install PlanetPress Suite on a test or development machine, to migrate all your information and test everything very thoroughly before "pulling the plug" on the old server. Test everything you can think of, and even what you can't.

As for creating PDFs, in order to do this you could either upgrade to a PlanetPress Office or PlanetPress Production licence (they didn't exist back in version 4, and Watch won't create PDFs on its own), or you could purchase a PlanetPress Imaging licence, which would also give you the ability to output to different formats, and to output to FAX.

You should probably speak to a sales agent in order to learn the differences between those licences and make sure you get exactly what you need.

A great resource for learning about version 7 would be the OL Learn website. Assuming you have a valid OL Care maintenance contract, you can access it on http://ollearn.objectiflune.com/