Topic Options
#17396 - 07/28/04 03:31 PM Winfax Pro issues
Roberto Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've recently upgraded a customer from PP3 Fax to PP4 Fax and found some limitations that are not evident in PP3.

- area code rules are limited to 65 exchanges per area code. Luckily if I eliminated the cellular exchanges, I'm left with 63.

- the output quality is poor especially compared to PP3 Fax(page shrinks, greyscales come out very grainy)

- once PP has passed the job over to Winfax, Watch can no longer control events i.e. if the fax errors out, you can't have Watch send it to an email, print the fax out, etc. They had all errors print to the mailroom for immediate distribution which is now a manual process within WinFax.

- WINFAX DOES NOT RUN AS A SERVICE!!! Although all the PP components run as services WinFax does not so you lose all the advantages services provide.

- WINFAX README STATES WINDOWS 2000 SERVER IS NOT SUPPORTED! Guess what platform my customer is on.

Overall, I think Winfax was a poor substitute for PP3 Fax. If any of these issues can be resolved (don't tell me to talk to Symantec!) let me know.

Roberto Medeiros
Senior Systems Analyst
Ikon Office Solution

#17397 - 08/12/04 04:26 PM Re: Winfax Pro issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

This was handled by phone.

#17398 - 01/07/05 10:25 AM Re: Winfax Pro issues
jsmith Offline

I would love to know how these issues were handled. Specifically the emailing on error and win 2000 server issue?

#17399 - 01/10/05 12:12 PM Re: Winfax Pro issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is possible to capture the WinFax Pro confirmation page and e-mail it. To do so, you will need to create a new local printer using the Generic/Text Driver and located on IP 127.0.0.1 (your localhost).

Next, go in WinFax Pro, and go in the menu under Tools->Program Setup->Send. Select the

Moderator:  OL Newsgroup Support