Topic Options
#17428 - 10/06/04 01:14 PM Can't send faxes...
BJ Lillo Offline
OL User

Loc: Brookfield, WI
Hopefully I'm missing something simple here, but I can not get faxes to go to Winfax from PlanetPress Fax.

Here is my setup:

Windows Server 2003 with up to date security patches

PlanetPress Form:
single data selection of the fax number with the PlanetPress Fax Options, Fax Number checked. This data selection is in the format of ########## (no dashes, spaces, parentheses, etc...)

Watch process:
Folder Capture (pointing to CSV file)
Fax output with the appropriate Host and Document selected.

PlanetPress Fax Config:
delete log after 60 days
Fax service WinFax Pro
Dialing format Default

WinFax program setup:
Modems and Communications Devices
Dialing Setup, Location Default
Connection Device Rightfax and pointed to the appropriate Rightfax server with the appropriate user credentials.

When I start the PPWatch service, there is an error in the event viewer. That error says:
Source: PPFax
Category: (5)
Event ID: 0
The description for event id (0) in source (PPFax) cannot be found. blah blah registry... blah blah dll...
The following information is part of the event: First try to connect to Winfax Pro failed.

If I try to send a fax, nothing shows up in Winfax Send Log or Outbox, but my CSV file does disappear.

Thanks for any help in tracking down this issue...

BJ Lillo

#17429 - 10/06/04 03:00 PM Re: Can't send faxes...
BJ Lillo Offline
OL User

I now think the problem is related to the account that the services are running as. I have the WinFax application configured and running under a domain user account and the PP Suite services running as the local system account.

When I try to change the services by typing in my domain name and user name to run as my domain user the changes do not stay.

When I click on the check box that says "Display network domains and usernames" Watch locks up. I am assuming it is trying to query Active Directory here for all of the domain names and user names to populate the drop down lists.

I do not have domain administrative rights nor do I have rights to browse all of the Active Directory structure. I can browse one Organizational Unit (three levels deep) which is the one for the branch I am currently working in. I can not log on using the local system account because I need rights to connect to other servers in the domain.

Is there a way to change the user context of these services through the registry or some other means?

#17430 - 10/06/04 03:29 PM Re: Can't send faxes...
BJ Lillo Offline
OL User

I was just able to change to the proper domain user account. I was not being patient enough. It took approximately 35 minutes to populate the domain list. Once that happened, I was able to select the appropriate domain and user.

Now I'm seeing a different message in the Event Viewer when trying to send a fax:
Source: PPFax
Category: (5)
Event ID: 0
The description for Event ID...could not be displayed...
The following information is part of the event:
Error processing job: The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password; moving job to error folder.

BJ Lillo

#17431 - 10/07/04 03:35 PM Re: Can't send faxes...
J-F Barbeau Offline
OL Guru

Loc: Montreal, Qc
Hello,

What is the version of PlanetPress Watch and PlanetPress Fax you have? You should make sure you are at the latest version that came out this morning (4.0.46.1540).

Also, when configuring your services through Tools->Configure services, make sure you enter the correct domain and username you are currently logged on as on your machine. Enter the correct password, and then click ok.

Moderator:  OL Newsgroup Support