Topic Options
#17772 - 02/19/04 06:12 AM Contentions with PP3?
Phree Offline
OL Expert

Loc: South Coast, UK
Hi guys smile

I'm finally due back to work next week after 2 months out with a slipped disc and I'm raring to go! I'll be looking to get PP4 up & running as soon as possible, but firstly I need to know:

Are there any contentions or known issues with running PP3 AND PP4 on the same machine? Obviously we'll want to get used to PP4 but have PP3 to fall back on.

Thanks. And love the new site design!

Neil.

#17773 - 02/19/04 08:33 AM Re: Contentions with PP3?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Running the version 3 and version 4 design tool at the same time is not a problem.

However, you cannot run both PlanetPress Watch 3 and 4 at the same time, though you could have them both installed.

#17774 - 07/13/04 12:14 PM Re: Contentions with PP3?
jsmith Offline

I too would like to ask about having these things on the same machine. I have a couple clients who are not wanting to upgrade to 4 right now, while several others are. Can I load the whole suite of v.4 on this same server (Watch, Fax and Image too). Pretty much for the purposes of supporting both versions? Would I just need to install it in a whole new directory and would swithing back and forth be as easy as which one I have running at the time?
Thanks
Jen

#17775 - 07/13/04 12:20 PM Re: Contentions with PP3?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

Running PlanetPress Watch 3 and 4 on the same machine at the same time is not a good idea at all and should never be done.

Having the version 3 and 4 designer on the same machine however should not cause any problems at all.

Version 4 of the suite does not install to the same directories as version 3 so you could just go ahead and install it. Just be very careful though as version 4 because Watch and Image run as services. (You won't see icons or anything in the task bar letting you know they are running).

#17776 - 07/20/04 10:34 AM Re: Contentions with PP3?
jsmith Offline

So is it best to uninstall the old version befor installing 4?

#17777 - 07/20/04 10:36 AM Re: Contentions with PP3?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For PlanetPress Watch I would say yes but for the design tool having 3 and 4 on the same machine should not cause any problems.

#17778 - 07/23/04 11:49 AM Re: Contentions with PP3?
jsmith Offline

What about Fax and Image?
If they install to seperate dirctories, how does it know where to go get the config.pw3 file and the compiled forms?

#17779 - 07/23/04 11:51 AM Re: Contentions with PP3?
Anonymous
Unregistered

PlanetPress 4 is a totally different application then 3. If you want to use 3 forms with 4 you have to import them. If you want to use the config file, you have to import it into 4.

Same with forms. If you want to change them in 4 you have to import them.

Moderator:  OL Newsgroup Support