Topic Options
#17981 - 03/08/04 12:12 PM Centering DataSelection and Box
Mason Offline

Loc: Fairhope, Alabama
Hello,

If you create a Box, then create a DataSelection whos text alignment is 'Centered', and then try to align the Dataselection in the center of the Box (both vertical and horizontal) using Format > Align, the alignment is way off.

Mason

#17982 - 03/08/04 02:56 PM Re: Centering DataSelection and Box
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

This is not a bug. When you center a data selection object the left-point becomes its center. This is a design decision.

#17983 - 03/08/04 03:56 PM Re: Centering DataSelection and Box
Mason Offline

Hello,

The point being that the expected behavior, by I'd say close to 100% of PlanetPress users, is not occurring. So, how would you quickly center a data selection that has its text aligned to center on a page. I would say that it should be: click on the data selection, click align, and select horizontal > center on page. However, this does not work. It does not center the data selection even though most of PlanetPress' user would expect it to do such.

I guess my question now is: How do you efficiently center a data selection that has its text is aligned to center with any other object?

Mason

#17984 - 03/08/04 05:11 PM Re: Centering DataSelection and Box
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

I mentioned that it is not a bug because this is the way it was designed. I do agree with you that it is not the behavior that most people would expect.

The problem with this lies with the fact that a data selection object (among others) do not have a solid, static width. In fact, the width of a data selection can vary from one page to the next depending on how much data is on line. When you choose center, the left point of your data selection now becomes the center.

If you want to see what I mean try the following.

1) Add a box.
2) Go to the snapping points tab for the box.
3) Click on "Set Snapping Point" and choose the top left corner.
4) Click ok.
5) Add a data selection and choose some random text from a file.
6) Go to the snapping points tab for the data selection.
7) Click on "Snap to previous object" and choose the top left corner.
8) Click ok.

You will now see your data selection in the top left hand corner of the box. Now, go back into your data selection and change your alignment to center. Now, since these objects are forced to keep their top lefts together, you can see that the data selections top left is now cenetered. This is the point that gets centered when you select multiple objects.

Is this the behavior you expect? No it is not.

Is this a bug in the software? No, we do not consider it a bug since this is the way it should behave.

However, we always welcome suggestions on how to make our software better (bug fixes & suggestions from users like this one). I have taken the liberty of pushing this through as a feature request on your behalf and we thank you for taking the time to help us make the software better.

=================================================

If you want to center text inside of a box please do the following.

1) Add a text object to the page.
2) Click on the borders tab and add your box.
3) Go back to the text tab, right click in the window and add your data selection.
4) Unclick the Word Wrap button.
5) Click on format-->alignment
6) Choose center from the drop down list.

You will now see that no matter how many characters your data selection takes it is perfectly centered inside of the box.

#17985 - 03/08/04 07:19 PM Re: Centering DataSelection and Box
Mason Offline

Hello,

Thanks, Danny. Is there a way to do vertical centering, too? The box that says "Top Left" is grayed out... I'm assuming this is where you would do vertical alignment.

Mason

#17986 - 03/08/04 10:13 PM Re: Centering DataSelection and Box
Anonymous
Unregistered

You have to turn off word wrap in order to use that. Once word wrap is turned off you should be able to use the drop down list (where you have quite a few different options.)

The box, formatted text and data selection objects now work a lot closer together then they did in 3 (example, if you add a box, you have a text tab). Because of this we can do alot more but the thinking sometimes changes from how we did things in Version 3.

#17987 - 03/09/04 11:22 AM Re: Centering DataSelection and Box
Mason Offline

Thanks, Danny! Choosing 'Center' from that drop down list worked like a charm - it centered my text both vertically and horizontally within the box.

Mason