Topic Options
#18122 - 01/06/05 11:01 AM Watch 'Sort by Name' Issue
Ken Stulce Offline
OL Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Hello OL,

Yesterday while finishing a v3 to v4 upgrade for a customer using v4.1.2.1578, I was showing the customer some new and improved features of Watch, primarily the 'Sort by Name' feature. When utilizing the function, we could get it to work for everything (Processes, Documents, etc.) but not the Documents that were within the Printer section of Watch (Left side of screen at very bottom - Printers). Whenever we tried to sort the Documents there, Watch would basically freeze and under the Windows Task Manager, Watch Configurator was using 50% of the CPU under the Processes tab, but under the Applications tab it was stating that the Watch Configurator was NOT RESPONDING. We waiting for about 10 minutes to see if Watch would finish, but eventually had to end the task, as it seemed to be locked up.

When sorting by name in the Processes or Documents sections, this only took about a second or two to complete, so there must be something odd happening with the printers.

Please let me know if you can duplicate this on your end.

Thanks in advance.
Essex Industries, Inc.
-------------------

#18123 - 01/06/05 05:45 PM Re: Watch 'Sort by Name' Issue
Ken Stulce Offline
OL Expert

Hello OL,

Just wanted to let you know that I tried the Sort By Name problem on a different customer's PlanetPress server and had the exact same thing happen.

Thanks,
Essex Industries, Inc.
-------------------

#18124 - 01/06/05 05:54 PM Re: Watch 'Sort by Name' Issue
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

How many documents were under the printer queue when that happened? I have tested it here and it works fine with a limited number of documents.

Regards,
Yan Desjardins
TeamOL

#18125 - 01/07/05 09:43 AM Re: Watch 'Sort by Name' Issue
Ken Stulce Offline
OL Expert

Yan,

Thanks for your reply. There are at least 40 printers with at least 8 documents stored under each printer.

At the first customer's location that I tried this, their configuration didn't have groups of documents or groups of printers, but still had the same issue. The second customer's configuration had groups of printers and groups of documents.

One other thing that I noticed, even though this is a different matter, on the second customer's Watch configuration, they had PSI files showing up under the documents. Where would these have come from? I know they're v3 Image files, but all of the forms have been converted to v4 and the PSI files didn't show up until after I updated the customer's software to v4.1.2.XXXX.

Thanks in advance.
Essex Industries, Inc.
-------------------

#18126 - 01/07/05 09:47 AM Re: Watch 'Sort by Name' Issue
Ken Stulce Offline
OL Expert

Yan,

Just happened to think of another thing that I did. With the Watch Processes and Documents, I had clicked on the main folder for either Processes and Documents then right-clicked and selected Sort by Name. Those two folders sorted fine, but when I selected Printers and then right-clicked for Sort by Name, the issue happened. The Printers folder has two Groups in it. One for Canon IR2200-3300 printers and one for Canon IR5000-6000. By selecting Sort by Name on the Printers folder, wouldn't it cause everything, regardless if it is in a group or not, to be sorted within their subfolders?

Thanks,
Essex Industries, Inc.
-------------------

#18127 - 01/07/05 04:00 PM Re: Watch 'Sort by Name' Issue
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

When right-clicking on the Printer Queues main folder and selecting sort by name, only the print queues will be sorted and not the documents within them. To sort the documents, you have to right-click on the specific printer queue.

What OS are these clients using?

Thanks,
Yan Desjardins
TeamOL

#18128 - 01/07/05 05:33 PM Re: Watch 'Sort by Name' Issue
Ken Stulce Offline
OL Expert

Yan,

Actually, I was trying to sort the Printers, in the Printers section, not the Documents that are installed on the Printers. This is where the error occurred.

Both customers have Windows 2000 SP4, which I understand is not supported at this time, but I brought this same point up to Denise Lapointe and she said that most of the technicians at OL had SP4, so that instances like this could be troubleshooted with the same OS on OL's end.

Thanks,
Essex Industries, Inc.
-------------------

#18129 - 01/10/05 01:18 PM Re: Watch 'Sort by Name' Issue
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

I have tested the sort feature on some random Watch configurations and I did not encounter any trouble. The issue could be related to some specific configurations.

Would it be possible for you to send us a sample Watch config for that problem, so we can see what may be wrong? You can open an issue through our web support at:

http://www.objectiflune.com/supportweb/

Thanks
Yan Desjardins
TeamOL