Topic Options
#23075 - 11/12/05 12:36 PM 4 In 1 - Rebuild SQL Permissions, as a Task & Security
Chasky Offline

Loc: Colombia
Hi there,

Rebuild SQL Permissions

I already have the Search working perfectly but I have 3 doubts.

1. Person who make the rebuild task has to be the system administrator of the SQL server (sa) otherwise objects will be like user.Table_PDF which will lead us to an error in PSearch since it won

#23076 - 11/15/05 11:02 AM Re: 4 In 1 - Rebuild SQL Permissions, as a Task & Security
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

Let me start off by answering #4. At the current time there is no way to refresh the database from a scheduled task, the ability to do so is being considered for the future though.

For the other 3 questions my answer will be global to all of them. What we have done here and suggest doing is that you actually assign the following rights to users on the search database itself and do not set rights at the table level.

1) db_datareader = for users who only need to search (SELECT).
2) db_datawriter = for users to write to the tables in the database (INSERT).
3) db_ddladmin = for users who have to create tables (CREATE).

If a certain user only needs to run searches but will never rebuild the db_datareader is plenty. For those who have to rebuild, they need all 3 rights.

This will allow you to specify security at the database level. The users won't have access to any other databases that you may have and will then have control over the other search tables.

#23077 - 11/15/05 06:43 PM Re: 4 In 1 - Rebuild SQL Permissions, as a Task & Security
Chasky Offline

Thanks body... you really helped me out with this!!!!!

#23078 - 11/18/05 05:50 PM Re: 4 In 1 - Rebuild SQL Permissions, as a Task & Security
Chasky Offline

Hi....

Sorry... it didn't worked as I expected.

I gave to the user who makes rebuild those 3 security roles at the database level. Not problem since she/he can re-create the tables.

The problem is that those tables keep her/his name as part of the object (e.g user1.Table_Index) so when the user who uses the search try a searh... it doesn't find the table.

After I change the owner to dbo (using the sentence EXEC sp_changeobjectowner 'user1.Table_Doc_1', 'dbo') it works ok with the db_datareader security for the user who does the search.

DO you understand my problem? I guess it will be everybody problem.

Please let me know

Moderator:  cosimo, OL Newsgroup Support