Topic Options
#23099 - 07/05/06 01:35 PM Central DB for multiple PCs using Serach
CAREA Offline

Loc: Canada
Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way to have a central DB for networked PCs to connect to rather than a seperate DB on each PC. I have checked around a bit on the forums but haven't found anything yet. If this is possible please let me know how or point me in a direction that will give me info about it. Thanks a bunch.

#23100 - 07/05/06 02:07 PM Re: Central DB for multiple PCs using Serach
brez Offline
OL User

Loc: Illinois
What I have done is create the search database and save it on the network where whomever needs access has access to. Then save the search file and just point everyone who needs it to this search file. This is the way i have avoided using the sql part.

Brian

#23101 - 07/06/06 09:31 AM Re: Central DB for multiple PCs using Serach
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi

You can use either database type (SQL or Access). When you set up the PlanetPress Image properties, you simply need to check the box to automatically add the pdf to a database and specify the database location. These options are on the Database tab of the PlanetPress Image configuration.

Hope this helps.

#23102 - 07/06/06 09:45 AM Re: Central DB for multiple PCs using Serach
CAREA Offline

Hello,

Thanks for the ideas. I have a few questions for both options.

With the DB option, is this a DB that I need to create and if so how do I do that? What tables, fields, etc are required? How do I poiint each instance of Search to this central location? Do I set the Search Folders to the location of where the central DB is?

With the "non-DB" option, what is the search DB that you have created? Is that the one that is created locally when you are not using a central DB? And what is this search file? Again something on the local machine that is created when searching from a non central location?

Thanks again for the help.

#23103 - 07/06/06 10:00 AM Re: Central DB for multiple PCs using Serach
Anonymous
Unregistered

The database gets created by PlanetPress. When you set up the PlanetPress search client, click on File, New, and select the appropriate profile. For more information on this topic, you can consult the PlanetPress Search help files.

#23104 - 07/06/06 10:01 AM Re: Central DB for multiple PCs using Serach
CAREA Offline

OK. Thank you for your help. If I run into any problems regarding this I will repost here. Thanks again.

Moderator:  cosimo, OL Newsgroup Support