Topic Options
#24070 - 05/21/09 02:54 PM slow printing while logged into domain
Max Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hi, we have been producing training manuals using PSM (5.2.3 build 43). The files come as PDF's and are inserted into a PSM file which uses tray switching to pull from 4 different drawers for the different stocks needed. This has been working fine for a while...

Recently, the client has started sending very large files to be produced. These are 300-500 page PDF's to be printed. Once they are inserted into the PSM project, my entire PC runs slowly and printing usually fails with a mix of error messages (invalid print handle, Over quota, no printer installed)... Other symptoms include not being able to navigate on the network when trying to save, or even able to find the desktop to save a file. In general, the PSM software seems to be overwhelmed by the large files (.psm5 file size is ~6MB).

My workstation is an HP xw8600, E5440 quad core Xeon @ 2.83Ghz, 2GB ECC RAM, Win XP Pro SP2, SATA 300 HDD (defragmented), etc...

So, my workstation specs are probably sufficient for all of what I am doing. I found that if I log off the domain (Win2k3 SBS, Gigabit network, ~20 total clients) and log on as the local machine Administrator - I can usually print just fine and MUCH faster with preflight and spool times at least 1/4 of what they are while logged into the domain. I am not spooling to a print server, but connect to our RIP over Gigabit network...

Oh, 1 other thing I noticed was while printing some of these "problem" files I was monitoring the Windows Task Manager and saw that the # of "handles" reported for the PSMail52.exe process was over 12,000,000 (that's 12 million!) with a paged pool of over 90,000K. The nearest process was the spoolsv.exe which had a couple thousand handles and 100-200K in the paged pool.

These numbers seem EXTREMELY high to me...?

Thanks, I know it a lot of info, but maybe it will help figure out what's going on.

Max

#24071 - 05/25/09 03:55 AM Re: slow printing while logged into domain
Sander vd Berg Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune NL
I can reproduce this using 5.2.3 build 43 and a PDF with 316 pages. The problem is that something triggers PSM to keep creating new threads (= handles) to render the PDF, even when it's not necessary to do so. Apparently it's easier to reproduce with a document containing many PDF page objects.

It should no longer occur in 6.1.

For a workaround in 5.2 I'd suggest working in non-preview mode (toggle by pressing F2).

#24072 - 05/26/09 04:03 PM Re: slow printing while logged into domain
Max Offline

Loc: Michigan
I will try PSM6 to see if it helps, but typically PSM6 runs slower than PSM5 so I only use it for documents that need to be uploaded to PrintShop Web. Will report results as soon as I have time to test.

Also, turning of the preview doesn't help that much - but will try this also. Thanks for the suggestion!