Topic Options
#24119 - 05/14/07 03:31 PM PSM 6.0 and Acrobat
shaja Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Lake Geneva, WI, USA
I have heard that PrintShop Mail 6.0 won't require Acrobat. Can you confirm what the new version will require?

#24120 - 05/15/07 03:39 AM Re: PSM 6.0 and Acrobat
Anonymous
Unregistered

PrintShop Mail 6 will not require an installed Acrobat to be able to use .PDF files as source.

An Acrobat 7 equivalent plug-in is included in the PrintShop Mail 6 installation, and that plug-in will be used, even if an Acrobat version was installed on the system. By doing so, compatibility issues are prevented.

An important note: the plug-in is used so no Acrobat is needed when running print production using static .PDF files. The plug-in is not capable of outputing back to .PDF

#24121 - 05/15/07 09:33 AM Re: PSM 6.0 and Acrobat
shaja Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Lake Geneva, WI, USA
Floris,

Thanks for the reply. I output to .PDF more than I output to a printer. Are you aware of any issues or conflicts between the plug-in and being able to use my existing installation of Acrobat to print to .PDF from within PrintShop Mail 6.0?

#24122 - 05/31/07 05:28 AM Re: PSM 6.0 and Acrobat
Mark-Jan Bremmer Offline

Loc: Harderwijk - The Netherlands
Printing to PDF will be handled like PSM 5 did, with the same options and stability.

#24123 - 04/10/08 03:50 PM Re: PSM 6.0 and Acrobat
eDOC Offline

When we first got PSM 6 an output to pdf was missing certain records! We still don't have an answer. Tech support was able to recreate the problem. Their answer was to postcript then distill the postscript

"From R&D:
My thoughts so far:
When printing to distiller, it is like RIP during print. Distiller will go through the postscript as it is being written
. Maybe at some point, the RIP catches up with the postscript and generates the page even before the variables are put
into the postscript. Would be strange, but the only explanation I can think of.

I have the complete output file here (113MB), I can put it on an FTP if needed.

Can they try to output the entire file to postscript first, and then distill it? My guess is that they would also have
no problem if it would be printed directly to the printer."

#24124 - 04/11/08 09:33 AM Re: PSM 6.0 and Acrobat
Anonymous
Unregistered

What was the result of the suggested work around?

#24125 - 04/21/08 02:00 PM Re: PSM 6.0 and Acrobat
Jon Hill Offline

Loc: Santa Ana, California
We are having a similar issue. 115K PDF file background. 9,762 records in MS Access 2003 database(created in 2007, but converted to 2003 for PSM) Running PSM 6.0.2(build 2) under Win XP Pro 5.1 SP2(build 2600). Sending file directly to Xerox DocuTech 128 HLC PS printer.

Around record 4116, postnet barcode remains, but all other variable info(Name, Address, City, St, etc.) disappears.

*** PSM 6, compared to PSM 5, is very "buggy". We are having several issues with 6 and are seriously considering dumping 6 in favor of PSM 5. What happened???*** A possible solution, we think, would be to DUMP the internal PDF processor and go back to using Abobe Acrobat's external PDF processor, or at least set up PDF processing the same way as PSM 5 as it was much more stable!

#24126 - 04/23/08 05:05 AM Re: PSM 6.0 and Acrobat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

We have tested the output of the versions we released and didn't see any of these problems.

If someone is in the position to FTP the complete PSM document (Document, PDF, images, database etc) then we will try to reproduce the problem and detect what the problem is.

How much RAM is in the machine you are using (the internal PDF lib uses memory and so PSM needs more memory than before)?

Best regards,

Alfons

#24127 - 06/15/08 03:38 AM Re: PSM 6.0 and Acrobat
Sander vd Berg Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune NL
Hi eDOC and Jon Hill,

I assume that the missing content was originally part of a text object on a layout in PSM - is that correct?

I can't give you a definite answer since I haven't seen the files (the .psmd document in particular), but I have run across something like this before. This was not caused by the new internal PDF processor (which is basically the same library used by Distiller, licensed from Adobe), but by the way we process text objects.

The problem is that documents containing many different text objects (let's say, a few hundred - possibly divided across different layouts that will be skipped conditionally) will consume a lot of system resources. The operating system only has a small amount of this type of memory available, and it's shared by all other applications. It doesn't matter how much physical RAM is installed.

When the system runs out of resource memory, PSM will no longer be able to reliably render the content of text objects. Note that you will not get any notification when this happens. This also occurred in PSM 5.0, but it will occur sooner in PSM 6.0 because of a new feature called "dynamic warnings".

I would be very interested to hear if your documents do in fact contain many different text objects.

If so, these problems will most likely be resolved in PSM 6.2. We have implemented a new mechanism for rendering text using so-called windowless RichEdit controls. This should prevent the system from running out of resource memory, improve performance, and provide some cool new functionality.

In the meantime, since resource memory is shared by other applications, it should help if you limit the amount of processes running in the background while you print.

Thanks for your feedback,
Sander