Topic Options
#24130 - 06/28/07 08:40 PM Feature request: layer always on top
swilson Offline

Loc: Seattle
In addition to my request to be able to set a working directory in PSM 6, I would also like to be able to set a layer of a layout to be always on top or always on bottom. The scenario is that for difference jobs, I often use a repetitive field setup, and swap in different layout PDF's below. This is templatized, but when I insert a PDF, the PDF goes to the top layer of the layout, and my data fields fall to the bottom until I drag them back on top. It would be convenient to be able to lock those merge fields to the top, so that placing a PDF does not obscure the rest of my file.

#24131 - 06/29/07 08:07 AM Re: Feature request: layer always on top
Anonymous
Unregistered

Inside the PrintShop Mail file format (XML based), there is no definition for Z-order of objects. Objects are stored in "order of appearance".

This means that it is not possible to predefine i.e. a high or low number to certain existing objects to make sure they keep the desired place.

Additional to the workflow suggestion in the previous post, I think a lot can be gained from changing the process:

Now you create separate directories from which you work. If you change to use to backup of source files / history.

Use one working directory for every job.
  • Put new incoming files in a directory-structure like you do now, but don't create/run the PSM job there.
  • Copy the source files into your fixed working directory, rename them to a default, like "static.pdf" and "data.xls" / "data.txt".
  • Create a PrintShop Mail file once in this directory, that uses this static.pdf and correct database.
  • Save your PSM job, and Print your output
  • After production, clean up your working dir from workfiles (static.pdf / data.xls / data.txt). Keep the PSM file as it can be reused.

On the next job:
  • Save the files as normal, in your directory structure.
  • Then copy them again to the working dir. Rename them to your defaults (static.pdf, etc.).
  • Open the PSM file that was already there. It will pick up the new files automatically, as they are recognized by the file name.
  • Change what is needed and print.

I hope this is a useful procedure to you.

#24132 - 06/29/07 05:33 PM Re: Feature request: layer always on top
swilson Offline

Loc: Seattle
That's a very interesting suggestion on the workflow. I'll look into this -- any minute of efficiency that can be squeeze out of production time is a good thing!

Thanks very much for the reply.

#24133 - 06/30/08 06:16 PM Re: Feature request: layer always on top
Brian Miller Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Denver, CO
So, if there is no "Z-Order" for objects stored in the file, how does it know when you set a "bring to front" or "send to back" attribute to an object? Those attributes stay with the objects, so you would just need a choice to insert the file with the order attribute set to "Default/Front" or "Back", wouldn't you?