Topic Options
#24242 - 06/10/08 08:14 AM Mirroring - flip on long edge
Wim Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Brussel
Hi,

If i open an duplex 6.0 doc in 6.1 the settings for flip on long edge (needed if you print duplex on a xerox printer) in a repetion layout are visible in the settings but its not printing ok.
Same thing happens if you open a 5.x doc in 6.0.

And changing these settings will do nothing, i have to rebuild the whole document in 6.1 to print it.

Any solution for this?

#24243 - 06/15/08 04:10 AM Re: Mirroring - flip on long edge
Sander vd Berg Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune NL
Do you mean that the Mirroring combobox in the Repetition preference panel in PSM looks like it's set to Flip on Long Edge, but the layout positions on the back of each sheet are actually incorrect? Or is the output simplex instead of duplex, or rotated/flipped in some way?

#24244 - 06/17/08 05:33 AM Re: Mirroring - flip on long edge
Wim Offline
OL Newbie

Output is duplex, but the verso is incorrect.
There's no problem if i open the same document in the version it was created.

#24245 - 06/17/08 01:27 PM Re: Mirroring - flip on long edge
Sander vd Berg Offline
OL Expert

It's not a known issue. I'm afraid I haven't been able to find anything that might cause it, and I haven't managed to reproduce it either. Could you please send the .psm5 file (there's no need to send any supporting files, like the database) to support@printshopmail.com, and include a link to this thread?

#24246 - 06/18/08 12:22 PM Re: Mirroring - flip on long edge
Sander vd Berg Offline
OL Expert

I see what you mean now. I hope you don't mind if I reply here instead of by e-mail?

Your document is a landscape repetition job with two layouts, intended to be printed duplex. Front-to-back does not have the highest priority. There are two separate issues here.

1) The output of PSM 6.0 is different because duplex/repetition printing behavior has changed between 5.2 and 6.0. The difference is that 6.0 does not ensure that the layouts on the front and back are associated with the same record, unless front-to-back has the highest priority. This was classified as unwanted behavior and fixed in PSM 6.1.

2) The output of PSM 6.1 is different because of a different interpretation of "flip on long edge" for landscape jobs. Note that in 6.1 it's now possible to specify "flip on short edge" in the repetition settings, and it's assumed that you specify the same duplex setting in both PSM and the printer driver. Based on your document's layout and intended use, I would say that it requires "flip on short edge".

Can you please verify that the layout positions on the back-side are correct after changing the setting to "flip on short edge"? And could you check if the printer driver is set to "flip on short edge" as well?

#24247 - 06/20/08 04:11 AM Re: Mirroring - flip on long edge
Wim Offline
OL Newbie

Thanks for the explication, for the job i sended it works. I had same problem with portrait layouts, but that was if made it in 5.2 and converted to 6.0. I will convert them to 6.1 and play a bit with the long edge/ short edge flip.

Thanks
Wim

#24248 - 06/20/08 09:51 AM Re: Mirroring - flip on long edge
mryan514 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I just upgraded from 6.02 to 6.1 and have a Fiery rip and am getting the same thing as OL Newbie. I did play with the drivers and thought I had it but when I sent the files over (using a Fiery Rip on a Xerox 5000 using Fiery freeform2 output)the first 3 sets did go over properly the last set having an odd number of records had the variable alternating every other position as front/back. When the records are an odd quantity meaning does not fill every position (or where you would have blank records) it scrambles the positions. We did an experiment yesterday and added blank records to our csv file and the job prints properly. Did not have the problem at all with 6.02. We are having issues with the duplexing. If you choose flip on long edge we only get simplexed pages. If we choose based on driver settings it does duplex. The key is making sure that all the records fill the number of pages being printed. This definately seems to be a bug in the new 6.1.

#24249 - 06/23/08 11:02 AM Re: Mirroring - flip on long edge
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your input.

Is it possible to repeat the test once more, but then with the print technology set to optimized postscript? Just to see if this is a technology limitation, or something in the implementation.

Also, be sure to match the printer driver setting to the setting in PrintShop Mail. If you set it to flip-on-long in PSM, do the same in the driver.

Also, if you could supply your files, and mail them to support -at- printshopmail.com , I would geladly investigate the matter. Please include a reference to this topic.

Kind regards,
Floris

#24250 - 06/23/08 04:25 PM Re: Mirroring - flip on long edge
mryan514 Offline

Loc: Arizona
IT worked fine with Fiery Freeform 2 in 6.02. It does work correctly with Creo VPS and Optimized postscript but I cannot use those since my files are large - using full color and variable data makes these files huge - it wil crash the Fiery or make printing very slow with those technologies. Also, Fiery Freeform2 will work if the number of records (data) per page is even. We add blank fields to our data. To me it seems to not be able to figure out an odd number imposition. It scrambles the PDF.

The only options I get with the printer driver are head to head, head to toe, printer's default, none. It does not state long or short.

I will send you a file, thanks in advance for any input.

Thanks,

Maria