Loc: London
Hi everyone

I have a 6 page layout (PDF) that I

#24337 - 01/21/10 11:28 AM Re: Spool Speed
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
Barry,

Usually, this has nothing to do with drivers settings. Depending on what you have in your document, it could take longer to spool. For example, if you have images, they can be very large and will reprocessed every pages, resulting in a heavy job that takes long to produce.

If you have a RIP that allows you to cache static images(such as Fiery, Creo, etc...), you may want to try using their caching technologies to speed things up. If you go to Edit-Preferences->Print Job, you can change the technology. Please note that this will only work if you have a RIP that allows the use of these technologies.

If you cannot use caching, then there isn't much of a workaround, other than using smaller images.

Regards,
Rapha

#24338 - 01/21/10 12:15 PM Re: Spool Speed
shaja Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Lake Geneva, WI, USA
A member of the US-based support team taught me this trick many years ago: print your VDP job from PrintShop Mail as a PDF, then send the "merged" PDF from Acrobat (or whatever your PDF application is) to your printer.

#24339 - 01/21/10 03:47 PM Re: Spool Speed
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
Shaja,

A pdf still has to be spooled before being created. It might still take time to actually create the pdf.

Still, this is something that can be tried.

Regards,
Rapha

#24340 - 01/22/10 04:26 AM Re: Spool Speed
DJBUZZ Offline

Loc: London
Hi all

I tried the print to PDF option even though I presumed it would take ages to spoool to the PDF maker & to create a 12000page PDF took around 3 mins!

Thanks for your help again!
Barry Osborne

#24341 - 01/22/10 09:41 AM Re: Spool Speed
shaja Offline
OL Newbie

Raphael,

My advice came directly from a member of the Atlas support team (pre-merger). See the troubleshooting guide from version 4.1.

I was in this situation myself, and he helped. His advice has worked RELIABLY for me for the last six years. As a Konica Minolta dealer who also sells PrintShop Mail in addition to using it in my work, I rely on this trick when I am supporting my own clients and their installations.

Yes, you have to spool twice (once from PrintShop Mail and once from Acrobat). But, when you are in this situation, the double spooling is still faster than spooling from PrintShop Mail to the printer. IT WORKS.

#24342 - 01/22/10 09:46 AM Re: Spool Speed
shaja Offline
OL Newbie

Barry, Glad to hear it. See if your local support person can dig you up a copy of the PDF troubleshooting guide from version 4.1. It has a lot of advice re ways to create your original pdf that still is very helpful.