Topic Options
#24357 - 02/04/10 07:25 AM Mac vs. PC
TomK Offline
OL Newbie

Hello, I am evaluating Printshop Mail in anticipation of purchasing for our business. We are in a mixed PC and Mac environment. I have been testing the software on a PC and am wondering if there are any differences between the Mac and PC versions and if there is a list or FAQ delineating these differences. I intend to install the Mac version and work with but it would be a lot easier to know the differences up front so I'm not surprised if I purchase and the discover later that something on one format is entirely missing in the other. Thanks!

#24358 - 02/04/10 09:18 AM Re: Mac vs. PC
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom,

The eternal debate of Mac vs. PC, is very complex generally, but in this case it's fairly simple. The Mac version, while being functional and solid in it's own way, is still at the moment technically 2 versions behind (PSM5 Mac vs PSM7 Win) even though we have released a few minor releases to resolve issues and add some features.

In the meantime, most of the new features that were released in version 6 and 7 of the Win version were not applied to the Mac version (other than critical fixes), so you will most likely find that it is much more convenient to stick with the PC version at this point.

Unfortunately, because of this reality, we do not have a list detailing specifically what differences lie between the two sides of the Force.

Hope this helps,
Eric.

#24359 - 02/04/10 09:31 AM Re: Mac vs. PC
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
TomK,

One thing to note is that the dongle you will receive should be usable on both platforms. So if you have both a Mac and a PC, you can try both versions, and decide which one you want to keep. Just remember that files created on the Mac cannot be opened on the PC, and vice versa.

Regards,
Rapha

#24360 - 02/04/10 04:22 PM Re: Mac vs. PC
TomK Offline
OL Newbie

Eric & Raphael,

Thank you. We are in a mixed platform environment where our Production/Graphics department staff use Macs and our Data/Records staff use PCs.

The Production/Graphics staff will create the graphics for our projects in Quark and will then save as a PDF for our Data/Records staff to embed text variables, etc.

The more I think about it, I'm not sure in fact that we must have Printshop Mail on the Mac side since these folks are producing in Quark and saving as a PDF and the the Production/Graphics people would take it from there...