Topic Options
#24456 - 09/25/09 05:04 PM PDF issue when converting to Optimized PS
funwork Offline

Hello,

Sometimes we print to PDF from PSM6.
We have witnessed a few times printing issues.
When we print in Standard PS mode the resulting PDF is OK
But when we try Optimized PS the resulting PDF is different, some parts of the image are covered.
So far we have traced that the problem should come from the integred PDF in our pages.
This PDF looks like it wasn't "flattened". When we open the PDF in Acrobat it displays the page "layer by layer" in 3 seconds !

So I guess we should first validate our incoming PDF so we would open PSM6 with "good" PDF to be able to produce reliable PDF with the variable datas.
So the question is to know what standard or properties should a PDF meet to be used as a background image with PSM6 ?

Thanks for your answers.

Best regards

Frank

#24457 - 09/28/09 09:53 AM Re: PDF issue when converting to Optimized PS
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Online   content
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
funwork,

If I understand correctly, the pdf didn't show up the way you expected it to be, and the quality isn't good enough, is that right?

I believe that when you import a pdf in PSM, it will do a conversion to EPS during the job's ripping. However, I do not think it uses the highest quality settings, nor does it seem like you adjust these anywhere, so the quality is lowered. Standard PostScript might use different settings that Optimized PostScript, but unfortunately, these settings cannot be set.

One solution would be to convert your pdf to a different image format, such as eps, but if that doesn't work, you could try a raster image. Bitmap or TIFF should produce a good quality image, with bitmap being the slowest but highest quality. I do not recommend JPEG, as it will induce a quality loss.

Regards,
Rapha

#24458 - 09/28/09 10:34 AM Re: PDF issue when converting to Optimized PS
funwork Offline

I'll try it.

Thanks a lot