Topic Options
#24489 - 06/25/10 06:38 PM Transparent Backgrounds in Variable Images???
bossman696 Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Alabama
Is this possible? I'm using version 6.0 on a Window XP computer and I need the background to be clear on several variable image files. The variable images I'm using have transparent backgrounds, but they turn and preview white when I drop them into a Printshop mail file.

As any one had this problem or is it even possible to have transparent images so the background PDF in the file will show through?

#24490 - 06/26/10 03:39 AM Re: Transparent Backgrounds in Variable Images???
Sander vd Berg Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune NL
What kind of images?

I think your best bet for transparency in PSM6 would be EPS. It may not look transparent in the design view of PSM, but that is only the embedded preview. It should be transparent in the print output.

TIFF transparency is only partly supported. I uploaded a test image here , maybe you can compare it with your images. It looks and prints transparent when you place it in PSM, but you may notice that its edges don't blend in with the background very well. This is because the image and its background are not precomposed; the graphics engine assumes that the background is solid white.

#24491 - 06/28/10 09:47 AM Re: Transparent Backgrounds in Variable Images???
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
Bossman696,

Know that transparency isn't officially supported in PSM, it doesn't have a "transparency" feature for images. Sometimes it works, but not always.

If transparency is already present in your image, it should keep it when you print or previe. As Sander said, EPS is good, and I have also had good experiences with PNG files. However, depending on how the image was made and what resolution and format it was saved as, it may or may not work in PSM. I believe that you should create your image with a "clear" background. If the background is "white", PSM will display the white background. You may need to use an advanced image creation software to get a proper clear background, such as PhotoShop.

Regards,
Rapha