Topic Options
#26575 - 01/28/09 07:42 PM "Snapping points" question
Daniel Black Offline
OL Guru

Loc: Salem, Oregon
Hello. We have a template that has a large potential number of text objects (35) roughly positioned in the center of page one. I say potential because the appearance of each object is governed by a condition, and it isn't possible for two conditions to be met on one page.

Near the bottom of the page is a text object with no conditions. It appears for each addressee. It is configured to "snap to" the previous object. The object it snaps to is one of the 35 objects noted above. For 34 of them, it works well. There is one of those 35 objects that the "snapping to" doesn't appear to work correctly. The top of the "bottom of page" text object overlaps the bottom of the conditional object above it.

I've compared the "Snapping Point" parameters of the errant object to those that work well, and I see no differences.

This is my question, and request. Please provide me a way to know EXACTLY which objects are included in the group of "Previous Objects" for an object (as in "Snap to Previous Object). I want to ensure that "Object 35" is in the list.

#26576 - 01/29/09 09:55 AM Re: "Snapping points" question
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Online   content
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
Daniel,

The "Previous Object" refers to the object that is right before it in the object inspector. Objects are displayed in a certain order in the object inspector, and 35 will snap to the object that is right above it in this list.

However, are Box1 through Box34 grouped? If so, it will try to snap to the group, since it's on the same level as 35, and not on the object 34 that is inside it. And unfortunately, snapping to groups isn't supported, and it is recommended that you ungroup the objects if they are grouped. Then 35 should snap to 34 properly.

Regards,
Rapha

#26577 - 01/29/09 10:22 AM Re: "Snapping points" question
Daniel Black Offline
OL Guru

Thanks for the reply.

They are not grouped.

I do not see a list of objects in the Object Inspector. This is true whether I have selected the page or have selected a particular object on the page (in the Document Structure pane). I DO see a list of objects in the Document Structure. Is this the list you noted?

#26578 - 01/29/09 10:35 AM Re: "Snapping points" question
OL Expert

Yes, sorry for the confusion, it is indeed the list in the Document Structure.

Rapha

#26579 - 01/29/09 10:49 AM Re: "Snapping points" question
Daniel Black Offline
OL Guru

OK. In the document structure pane, there is a list of objects with a discernible order. The object that is positioned near the bottom of the page is ordered below each of the 35 objects that have conditions. Each of these 35 objects have the "Set Snapping Point" set to lower left. The object positioned near the bottom of the page IS set to "Snap to previous object".

Again, this "Snapping to" works for the majority of these 35 objects, but fails for one of them. Provided I have accurately described how these objects are configured, does this constitute a program bug, or are there other considerations that may explain this?

#26580 - 01/29/09 07:38 PM Re: "Snapping points" question
Daniel Black Offline
OL Guru

The position of the "Bottom" object does not change with a change in size of the item above it (one of 35, with 35 conditions). Some of the "35" items consist of four lines of text. These are fine. Those with five lines of text are the ones that overlap the "Bottom" object. When the conditions warrant the appearance of one of those five line text objects, the object that is to Snap to it fails to do it. It is like it does not recognize the object has changed.

I see what the problem is. The size of the text objects is not changing when the additional lines of text are added. (I didn't create this template). What I will be doing is to increase the size of each of these text objects that is either overlapping the object below it, or cutting it too closely.

#26581 - 01/30/09 09:31 AM Re: "Snapping points" question
OL Expert

Daniel,

Have you tried checking the "Dynamic Height" option in the text boxes' basic attributes? It's supposed to allow the object to increase it's height dynamically based on the amount of text in it.

Regards,
Rapha

#26582 - 01/30/09 10:37 AM Re: "Snapping points" question
Daniel Black Offline
OL Guru

Thanks. Each of these objects had dynamic height set to false. I set each of these to true, and it seems to be working perfectly!