Topic Options
#29643 - 06/26/07 11:08 PM Queuing GUI and Plugin
Uomo Del Ghiaccio Offline
OL Expert

I have a need to receive data coming in, but don't want it printed right away. I need to queue the files for manual release by an operator.

Currently when we pause a process it stops any data from being received. I need to continue receiving that data, but need to queue/hold it for a while.

I would like to have two different Active States (i.e. Active - Released and Active - Hold).

This is a very common request by my customers. In the past we have written VB Applications to handle the needs, but it would be nice if it was fully intregrated within PlanetPress Watch.

#29644 - 07/18/07 05:23 PM Re: Queuing GUI and Plugin
Jason DeVries Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI
Quote:
Originally posted by Uomo Del Ghiaccio:
I have a need to receive data coming in, but don't want it printed right away. I need to queue the files for manual release by an operator.

Currently when we pause a process it stops any data from being received. I need to continue receiving that data, but need to queue/hold it for a while.

I would like to have two different Active States (i.e. Active - Released and Active - Hold).

This is a very common request by my customers. In the past we have written VB Applications to handle the needs, but it would be nice if it was fully intregrated within PlanetPress Watch.
Have you thought about using two different processes?

One process to receive in the data and store it in a file, and a second that could be triggered by another method to start processing the files from the first.

If you have Watch 6, it sounds like you could even setup a small web-page with a single-button form to post to the Watch HTTP server to trigger the processing of the queued up data files.

Otherwise, you could possibly use an ASP.NET to trigger it via a telnet input (or pick your favorite scripting language that can communicate on TCP/IP sockets).

Educational Institute
of the
American Hotel & Lodging Association

#29645 - 07/23/07 10:06 AM Re: Queuing GUI and Plugin
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
Jason's comments are dead on!
Version 6's HTTP Server functionality can very easily be set up to handle Uomo's request.

#29646 - 07/23/07 10:47 AM Re: Queuing GUI and Plugin
Uomo Del Ghiaccio Offline
OL Expert

We have thought of this approach, but the scale is a little bit troublesome. There are currently approx. 180 processes that feed into a separate system that is providing queue control. This would put us at 360 processes.

It truth, we should be able to reduce some of the existing processes, and some may no longer be in use. Either way, we are looking at an extensive web page to build. Some of the queues would collect several thousand files approaching 10K. They currently have the ability to drag and drop, release select jobs, and delete files.

With a large number of files the response from reading file attributes from a directory structure is very slow, so we came up with the idea of collecting the information and putting it into a SQL DB. This speeds up the viewing greatly, but could create a polling nightmare.

The current metaphore is a listing of all the queues, which if clicked displays the contents of the queue with a bunch of file attributes. They can drag and drop between queues, pause/release queues, force some selected jobs to print even if the queue is paused, delete jobs, or pause selected jobs so they don't print if the queue is released.

The current Sun based queuing is very functional, but is no longer supported as of 2000. The hardware is at the latest version available, but to get spare parts, we have to search ebay for them.

All this being said, we are progressing with the thin client model as described, but haveing been holding on to a hope that Objectif Lune would release something simular.

Thanks