Topic Options
#29663 - 10/02/07 06:43 PM Dynamic Fax report location
jackping Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Auckland
At the moment we can only set the location for the Fax report in PP Fax Configuration Panel, and I can't even control the filename of the fax report dynamically. If I have 2 separate fax jobs need to be run at the same time and I need to use FolderCapture to capture the fax reports to create another detailed report to the customers separately, I will need to use 2 different computers with PP suite to run these 2 job separately otherwise two reports from different jobs will go to the same folder and getting confuse. So it will be very nice that I can change the name or the path of the fax report in WATCH

#29664 - 10/02/07 07:06 PM Re: Dynamic Fax report location
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
I understand the reason for your request, but having control over the filename or folder would be very risky. If 2 reports happen to have the same name, the second would overwrite the first. In an environment like PPWatch/PPFax, where a high volume of documents can be processed in a short period of time, such a feature could potentially be dangerous. That's why we generate unique files names for each.

Wouldn't it be safer and more practical to capture the reports in a separate process (as you already do) and to create conditions based on the contents of the report... or to write a simple script that analyzes those contents?

#29665 - 10/02/07 08:15 PM Re: Dynamic Fax report location
jackping Offline
OL Newbie

Well....there are four things will be shown in the fax report: ID, Infos, Number and Status (I am using windows fax services). ID is given by the system, Number is the fax no, Status shows whether the fax is success or not. The only thing that I can enter will be Info, which I used for showing Customer ID show that when I get the fax report, I can get the ID and search all relevant details in database and show in the report I generated. So basically all the format of the reports are the same and I have no way to distinguish between 2 reports which come from different job if they have no particular Customer ID pattern.

I have tried to use RightFax but it even worst. RightFax can generate a very good report but it requires the user to enter some values like customer's name, ID...but PP Design and Watch didn't have any command which can integrate with RightFax report information. (The SetFaxInformation function in PP Design only works for Windows Fax Report "Infos" content, that's why I have to give up RightFax and use Windows Fax in order to get the Customer ID)

Furthermore, when I use windows fax services, I found that it can only handle 1 set of Job sent from PP Watch each time and it will process the jobs 1 by 1. The Fax Report will be generated only when a whole set of job is finished. So it would be any issue about overwrite a report unless I give them the same name and same location.

I really need this feature otherwise if I get 3 jobs which needs fax report, I need to have 3 computer with PP Watch and Fax. If I have 4 jobs, I need to have 4 computers with PP Fax and Watch...that would be horrible.

#29666 - 10/03/07 03:12 PM Re: Dynamic Fax report location
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Jackping.

I am not sure I understand completly what you are trying to achieve. As you've mentionned, a PlanetPress Fax job report contains 4 entries for each fax that was contained in that job (an internal Job ID, the fax number(s), the status and finally the "Fax Info" field).

From my understanding you are trying to get your reports sorted by customer IDs instead of by fax "jobs" ? As I said I am not 100% sure to understand what are your specific needs here, could you give me a bit more details?

Thanks

#29667 - 10/03/07 04:58 PM Re: Dynamic Fax report location
jackping Offline
OL Newbie

The internal Job ID is useless for me because it can't help me to identify a customer (it is not stored in the customer database). Also if 2 customers has the same Fax number, PP Fax will combine them together into a big job and fax it. In this case two customers will have the same internal Job ID. For example, 2 customers (with ID = 12345 and 23456 and I store them into Fax Info in PP Design) have the same fax number (9874563), the report will be like this:

ID: job@#$%^&12423
Info: 12345 | 23456
Number: 9874563

Then I will get the Customer ID (12345 and 23456)from the Info and get extra details from the customer database and generate a better report to the customer.

Since all the fax report will look like this and go to the same location I have set in PP FAX configuration, I have no way to determine the Fax report was belongs to which job. At the moment I have 2 jobs needed to generate More Detailed Fax report to customers. I have to run 2 jobs in separate PC with PP Watch and PP FAX. 1 extra licence for watch cost couple hundred dollars and 1 extra fax modem cost another hundred dollars....my boss doesn't want to have these extra costs when he get the third Fax. Job.

#29668 - 10/04/07 02:18 PM Re: Dynamic Fax report location
Anonymous
Unregistered

PlanetPress Fax will create a report file for each job it receives. Since your jobs contain multiple faxes that are sent to different customers at a same fax number I think the easiest way to achieve what you want would be to put a splitter in PlanetPress Watch right before the PlanetPress Fax action.

Using this splitter you could effectivly split your big fax job in multiple smaller fax jobs by splitting it whenever the customer ID changes. This way the reports that are created by PlanetPress Fax would be customer specific.

Is this something that would be possible with your current setup and data?