Topic Options
#29683 - 11/08/07 10:00 AM Image Tranparency for Full Color Graphics
Uomo Del Ghiaccio Offline
OL Expert

It would be very helpful to enhance PlanetPress so allow placing a full color image on top of a full color background while preserving tranparency of the image file.

Enhancing the current duotone transparency to allow selection on a specific color(s) for tranparency would be nice as well.

#29684 - 11/08/07 10:19 AM Re: Image Tranparency for Full Color Graphics
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
Hi,

Yes, this is a feature we'd like to implement... but we have yet to find a reliable way to do it.

The problem lies with PostScript limitations: PS1 and PS2 only support transparency for duotone images. PS3 does offer more flexibility, however we have found that not all PS3 implementations (e.g. printer RIPS) support these features reliably. Since we always try to be PS2 compliant (by far the most widely implemented version), we tend to shy away from PS3-specific features, especially if we can't count on them being actually present.

We are considering other options, though (for instance, allowing transparency on raster images when printing through a Windows Printer Driver in PlanetPress Server).

As for duotone transparency color, we'll take a look at what we can do about it.

#29685 - 11/08/07 10:42 AM Re: Image Tranparency for Full Color Graphics
Uomo Del Ghiaccio Offline
OL Expert

Philippe,

Thanks for the very informative and speedy response.

FYI... The customer that is requesting this feature is using the Optimized Postscript feature and printing to a Creo RIP on a Full Color Printer.

Thanks again!