Topic Options
#29691 - 12/05/07 05:29 PM Multiple Instances of PlanetPress Image
Uomo Del Ghiaccio Offline
OL Expert

It would be nice to be able to license Multiple Instances of PlanetPress Image on a server where each instance of PlanetPress Image was dedicated to a specific processor.

The scenario I envision would require a PlanetPress Image job handler that would hand out the jobs using FIFO to the next available PlanetPress Image service.

Thanks

#29692 - 12/07/07 02:05 PM Re: Multiple Instances of PlanetPress Image
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
Yes, we're already analyzing the requirements for such a feature. We'd like all our products to be able to juggle with threads automatically.
This way, the underlying OS automatically assigns any thread to the least busy processor.

However, such features are lodged deep in the core of the applications so we have to be extra careful whenever we work on implementing them.

I can't give you a time estimate or even promise you the feature will be included in a specific version, but do know that we are actively looking at our options to implement it.

#29693 - 06/03/08 04:01 PM Re: Multiple Instances of PlanetPress Image
OL Expert

I'm trying to speed up a current process that is using Optimized Postscript and Imaging. One processor is getting hammered while the other 3 are mostly idle.

Are there other tricks to increase the throughput?

#29694 - 06/03/08 11:08 PM Re: Multiple Instances of PlanetPress Image
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Hi Uomo,

In addition to your process that sends documents to PlanetPress Image, you can create several processes that use the Digital Imaging plugin.

Contrary to PlanetPress Image, these processes will run synchronously (i.e. one file goes into the Digital Imaging task and the process waits for the PDF creation step to complete before moving on to the next task). But that will allow you to use several RIPs in parallel.

PlanetPress Image runs in its own, single thread. But in PlanetPress Watch/Server, each process runs in its own thread. Since threads are automatically assigned by Windows to the first available CPU (or the least busy one), this will balance the workload across all CPUs.

We have successfully tested this technique in-house, however our test documents may not always be an accurate reflection of what's out there in the real world. But we know of customers who have implemented it and in some instances, they've seen dramatic (and I mean dramatic! ) performance increases in the mass production of PDF files.

If you try it, I'd appreciate hearing back the before/after results you get. This would certainly be helpful to the entire community.

By the way - and this is a bit more advanced, so feel free to skip it if it's too much - if you still want a single point of entry for all your data files, you can implement a process with just a single Input task and a single Output task. Set that Output task to be a Printer output task with load balancing enabled and which distributes jobs to Printer queues, making sure each of these Printer Queues is set to output jobs to its own folder.
Each process with a Digital Imaging task can then pick up its jobs from its own specific folder.

Let us know how it goes,

#29695 - 06/04/08 09:26 AM Re: Multiple Instances of PlanetPress Image
OL Expert

Phillipe,

Thanks for the ideas. I was wondering if you could take a quick look at the PlanetPress Watch config file?

Thanks

#29696 - 06/04/08 09:57 AM Re: Multiple Instances of PlanetPress Image
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

I just sent you a private message with an email address to send the config to.