Topic Options
#29721 - 04/04/08 11:09 AM Automatic/scheduled Backup Feature
Uomo Del Ghiaccio Offline
OL Expert

A nice feature to add to Watch/Server would be a configurable automated/scheduled backup process.

I invision selecting the types of items that you want backed up such as Watch/Server configuration file, documents, forms, attached scripts, etc..

Setting the time of the backup, the UNC location, login credentials, name of the archive including the ability to add a date stamp to the name.

#29722 - 04/04/08 02:27 PM Re: Automatic/scheduled Backup Feature
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
Hi Uomo,

We've been asked this a few times before. There is, however, no consensus on what should or should not be backed up (Documents, Fonts, PPDs, Configs, etc.).

Therefore, until we can come up with the Swiss-Army-Knife version of this task, let me make a suggestion:

With V6.1 and up, you now have the "Load External File" action task that allows you to load any file as if it were the Data Stream, but without consuming it (i.e. it doesn't get deleted at the end of the process).

So if you have a specific list of files you want backed up, you can feed that list (as a text file) into a PPWatch process. Use a splitter to process each line (e.g. each single file) one at a time. Then, add a branch in which you add two tasks: Load External File to load the file to back up and Send to Folder output to save the file wherever you want.
Alternatively, if you want to includes Binaries in the files that you want to back up, you can replace the Load External File task with a call to an external program, namely the DOS COPY command. You can pass the name of the file as a parameter to the command line.

The entire process can be set to run at fixed intervals: every week, every day, and so on.

All in all, this takes minutes to set up and it provides you with a fully customized backup system.

What do you think?

#29723 - 04/04/08 03:28 PM Re: Automatic/scheduled Backup Feature
Uomo Del Ghiaccio Offline
OL Expert

Philippe,

Currently I use a scheduled Watch process to start a VB Script that actually performs the backup. This had worked worked just fine for a long time, however I was asked by a customer to request that a configurable backup process is incorporated into the system.

Thanks