IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

These forums were permanently set to read-only mode on July 20, 2022. From that day onwards, no new posting or comment is allowed on the site, but the historical content remains intact and searchable.

A new location for posting questions about PlanetPress Suite is now available:

OL Learn - PlanetPress Classic (opens in new tab)

Topic Options
#30129 - 05/20/09 03:43 PM Variable images not making it to printer
Justin K Offline
OL Toddler

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
Hello again,

I've designed two documents I wish to use with the variable data technologies available in PlanetPress. I wish to off-load as much of the processing as possible to our Canon A3100 (Fiery) RIP, using Printer Centric mode if that is the appropriate method to do this.

The first document, a double-sided one-page catalog, has two large PDF images that I have set up as overlay pages and set as underlays on normal pages -- these are static. One of the normal pages contains variable text and images (JPEGs). I have the overlay pages set as cacheable, and have set the document caching method to VPS.

I can get this document to the printer with the static images (underlays) and variable text in place, but the variable JPEG images never appear. Are JPEGs not supported by VPS?

The second document is a 20-up sticker sheet. I've set up a cacheable virtual page with a variable JPEG image, and used the N-up tool to repeat it on a normal page. The N-up object is the first item on the normal page, as suggested by the documentation. There is also some variable text on thie page. This document is set for VPS caching method as well.

Once again, the varaible text comes through, but no images appear.

My goal is, as I said, to reduce the processing for PlanetPress and reply on the Fiery RIP. I think my approach is correct, but I must be missing something! In the documentation I've read about VIPP as an option, but I do not seem to have this option available -- does it require special activation or licensing?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

-Justin

#30130 - 05/20/09 04:15 PM Re: Variable images not making it to printer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Justin K,

To use dynamic images running in printer centric mode, you must make sure all the images can be found on the printer's hard drive. You can download them manually via PlanetPress Design, or you can use Watch to automatically download images on the printer.

Then simply put the image name with extension(case sensitive) in the image object. Note that you will not be able to see the images on screen during design time unless you also download them to the virtual drive.

Regards,

Olivier

#30131 - 05/20/09 04:31 PM Re: Variable images not making it to printer
Justin K Offline
OL Toddler

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
Olivier,

I see! I will try this.

Thank you very much for the quick response.

-Justin