Topic Options
#30260 - 08/14/09 10:26 AM PressTalk & PP7 Meta
Paul_McLays Offline

Loc: Cardiff, UK
Hi All,

I have just been upgraded and trained on PP7 and I am having a few issues getting my head around the new meta indexes and counts.

Previously I have always done my page counting manually in PressTalk.

The Issue I am having trouble understanding is this.

We use PDF's of varying page lengths. If for instance i want to output the PDF as a duplex printable file I need to add a blank page should the input be only 3 pages. I could do this before using mod to check for an odd total. I would have an additional page on condition which would print inline to create the missing back page. We print flat simplex files which can be manually duplexed at the printer.

I now have the counts available within the meta which means I dont have to build the page virtually to get the totals but when I add the conditional page (or showpage command) it increments the meta to include this page whether it is on or off.

I only need the page added at the end of the document but it also adds it after every page in the document making a 3 page document a 6 page. I have tried various matching of counts to get it to display at the end of the document but with the meta always including this page in the count I can never catch the fact that the input is an odd number.

I would have expected to have the document count available in the PressTalk Before box, add a showpage for instance which would then increment the page count and have the new total available in the presstalk after box.

Just the fact that a conditional page or Showpage appears, conditioned or not is added to the meta totals seems wrong.

Am I missing something obvious.

Thanks Paul

#30261 - 08/14/09 01:32 PM Re: PressTalk & PP7 Meta
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

Quote:
If for instance i want to output the PDF as a duplex printable file I need to add a blank page should the input be only 3 pages. [...] I only need the page added at the end of the document [...]
Should the conditional blank page be added only at the very end of the job or elsewhere? For example, can a 6 pages input file consist in 2 sets of 3 pages? The output would then be a 8 pages PDF with pages 4 and 8 being blank?

If the blank page should only be added as the very last page if the previous one is an odd page, then I believe a simple blank page with the following condition should work:

Code:
=(mod(&current.datapage,2)<>0) and &eojob
The condition checks that the current data page is odd and that it is the last one.

In any case, I can certainly understand that a metadata attribute such as the total page count gives unexpected results when used to determine if an additional page should be executed and shown, since it seems like a circular reference. For example, if a blank page executes only if the total page count is odd, then the total page count is not odd anymore... so the page should't execute, but then the page count is odd, but... etc. etc.

Hope this helps!

Benoit

#30262 - 08/17/09 05:35 AM Re: PressTalk & PP7 Meta
Paul_McLays Offline

Loc: Cardiff, UK
The input PDF would be a batch of documents. Lets say 10 documents concatenated together. It would arrive to us like this. All the documents have 4 sides (2 pages) but in the batch there might be 2 documents which have 3 sides or 5 sides causing the printed output to flip over. I need to catch these odd ones and insert a blank.
Hi Benoit,

You see my problem exactly. The meta makes the count even so I cannot catch it to deal with it. The code you posted is exactly how I tend to do this but &eojob is new to me. I will try it out.

I'm quite adept at scripting page counts when dealing with data but all the data is one datapage. A PDF is spread across datapages so I hae to decide how to deal with this also.

The meta counts are a godsend of a timesaver for me. Albeit a bit of a curveball solving this. I'll post any good results I get.

Thanks, Paul