Topic Options
#31308 - 05/21/09 12:23 PM Installer for PlanetPressPrinter
Uomo Del Ghiaccio Offline
OL Expert

Is there an installer or inf available to install the PlanetPress Printer. What are the terms (summary) of it's usage?

#31309 - 05/21/09 01:20 PM Re: Installer for PlanetPressPrinter
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
Uomo,

There's no installers for this driver.

You can create it from Design or Watch. In Watch, create a new process with WinQueue Input and click "New". Name this queue anything you want. It will create a new queue on your machine that is a PlanetPress Printer. You can then select it in your WinQueue Input to capture jobs printed to it, which will be converted in pdf format.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Rapha

#31310 - 05/21/09 02:17 PM Re: Installer for PlanetPressPrinter
OL Expert

So to recap, the PlanetPress Driver needs to be hosted by the PlanetPress Watch/Office/Production server. They can't host the driver on their regular print server.

#31311 - 05/21/09 02:27 PM Re: Installer for PlanetPressPrinter
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
Quote:
So to recap, the PlanetPress Driver needs to be hosted by the PlanetPress Watch/Office/Production server
Yes. They can install from there on any PC, but the hosting system has to be one of our workflow tools.

#31312 - 05/21/09 02:28 PM Re: Installer for PlanetPressPrinter
Yannick Fortin Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montréal
Uomo,

Why exactly would you want to install the driver on another computer? The driver is just a generic PostScript driver with almost no additional features, and the only reason why it is installed is to simplify the installation of PlanetPress Suite. This way, the user doesn't have to have a printer already installed. He also doesn't have to make sure that the driver produces PostScript code that is compatible with PlanetPress Watch.

Most of the features that people tend to attribute to the driver (metadata creation, convert a job to PDF, etc.) is actually done by the Windows Queue Input action in PlanetPress Watch. In fact, the Windows Queue Input action doesn't even need the PlanetPress Printer Driver to work, as long as the PostScript code that comes out of the printer driver is clean (ASCII, DSC-compliant, not device-specific, etc.).

#31313 - 05/21/09 02:37 PM Re: Installer for PlanetPressPrinter
OL Expert

It was a question from the customers IT staff, who prefers all shared drivers to be on their print server.

I told him that I believed that the driver needs to be hosted by the PlanetPress Watch/Office/Production server, but would ask. I don't know if it will be a issue, however if it does, then I will install a generic postscript driver perhaps using the default PlanetPress PPD. Can the default PlanetPress PPD be used to produce an acceptable file?