Topic Options
#31319 - 05/27/09 12:59 PM Linux CUPS-PDF printer
Uomo Del Ghiaccio Offline
OL Expert

Would the resulting PDF file from a CUPS-PDF printer in Linux be compliant as a data file with the the new PlanetPress v7?

My customer is using an application that places some graphics and formatting that they want to preserve. They would like to make some additions to the document, split and then route specific portions to different destinations. The application currently prints via CUPS.

Here is a link to an article of how to setup a CUPS-PDF printer.

#31320 - 05/27/09 02:02 PM Re: Linux CUPS-PDF printer
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
I have little experience with CUPS, but I do know this: CUPS uses Adobe Distiller to generate its PDF files, and PlanetPress uses the Adobe PDF engine to process PDF files.

Therefore, I don't foresee any issue with the latter processing the former.

Ask your customer to provide you with a sample PDF, or better yet, have them install an evaluation version of the PlanetPress Design tool and have them drag&drop one of those PDFs onto the Data Pane. They will instantly know whether it works or not.

#31321 - 05/27/09 04:12 PM Re: Linux CUPS-PDF printer
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
Sorry, I was wrong in stating CUPS-PDF uses Distiller as its engine. It doesn't. Rather, it is recommended that the Distiller PPD be used along with it in order to produce the best PDFs possible.

That being said, I still don't foresee any issue with the PDFs produced by CUPS-PDF.