Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#31369 - 06/12/09 12:03 PM Error selecting printer for "Print using a Windows Driver"
Justin K Offline
OL Toddler

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
Hello,

I'm attempting to output from PlanetPress to an Epson 1400 inkjet printer hooked to a workstation in our network. It is shared using standard Windows printer sharing. I can print to it using other software, send Windows test pages etc.

When I attempt to select it as the "Printer Queue" for the "Print using a Windows driver" output, I recieve the following error as soon as I select it:

Quote:
Crash Dump - C:\Documents and Settings\jkraft\Desktop\ppwatch.pw7 - PlanetPress Production Configuration - Evaluation version - Exception occurred on 2009/06/12 11:42:39
PlanetPress Production Version 7.0.0.4560
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error message: Exception EOSError in module OutputGDI.dll at 0000CADA.
Could not access printer information. Please reinstall the printer driver.: Error code 0: The operation completed successfully.

ExceptAddr: 080DDADA
hInstance: 00400000
VirtAddress: 07CDCADA

Unit:
Proc:
Line: 0

Call Stack:
[080DDAD5]{OutputGDI.dll} DllUnregisterServer + $AFAD
[081CD26E]{OutputGDI.dll} DllUnregisterServer + $FA746
[081CD44B]{OutputGDI.dll} DllUnregisterServer + $FA923
[0826EFC9]{OutputGDI.dll} GetPluginInfoEx + $2E49
[400CAA7C]{vcl60.bpl } Stdctrls.TCustomCombo.Change + $1C
[401077EC]{vcl60.bpl } Controls.TControl.WndProc + $188
[4010A9A3]{vcl60.bpl } Controls.TWinControl.WndProc + $157
[4010AADB]{vcl60.bpl } Controls.TWinControl.DefaultHandler + $12B
[4010A620]{vcl60.bpl } Controls.TWinControl.MainWndProc + $2C
[40039478]{rtl60.bpl } Classes.TDataModule.WriteHeight + $20
[4010AA87]{vcl60.bpl } Controls.TWinControl.DefaultHandler + $D7
[400F582F]{vcl60.bpl } Forms.TApplication.ProcessMessage + $83
[006D3C95]{ppwcfg.exe }
[0084076D]{ppwcfg.exe }
[008415FD]{ppwcfg.exe }
[40106B37]{vcl60.bpl } Controls.TControl.DoEndDrag + $1F
[401407C4]{vcl60.bpl } Comctrls.TCustomListView.DoEndDrag + $C
[4010388D]{vcl60.bpl } Controls.TBaseDragControlObject.EndDrag + $1D
[401038C4]{vcl60.bpl } Controls.TBaseDragControlObject.Finished + $28
[401049F0]{vcl60.bpl } Controls.DragDone + $250
[40103700]{vcl60.bpl } Controls.TDragObject.WndProc + $78
[401037CD]{vcl60.bpl } Controls.TDragObject.MainWndProc + $1D
[400F582F]{vcl60.bpl } Forms.TApplication.ProcessMessage + $83
[0085D71E]{ppwcfg.exe }
I've attempted reinstalling the driver, but no matter what I try it won't work with the shared printer.

If I install the driver as a local printer, pointing to LPT1 on the server PlanetPress is on, for example, it will allow me to select it.

Any ideas? Perhaps I must share this printer over our network in a different way?

Thanks,

-Justin

#31370 - 06/12/09 01:06 PM Re: Error selecting printer for "Print using a Windows Driver"
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
Justin,

Since this is a shared printer over a network, is Watch logged with a user with admin rights? Make sure the Watch service is logged with a user that has full admin rights. You must also be logged as that user in Windows. To assign the proper user to the Watch service, go to Tools->Configure Services, uncheck local system account, and enter domain, user and password.

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,
Rapha

#31371 - 06/12/09 02:41 PM Re: Error selecting printer for "Print using a Windows Driver"
Justin K Offline
OL Toddler

Hello Raphael,

The Watch service (and other services) are logged in with a domain administrator level account, which is the same account I am using for Windows. I can print to the shared printer (and see status, settings etc) under this account on the server PlanetPress is running on.

Additionally, the printer is shared from the workstation will full control to all users.

-Justin

#31372 - 06/15/09 10:35 AM Re: Error selecting printer for "Print using a Windows Driver"
Justin K Offline
OL Toddler

Any other ideas on how I can solve this issue?

Is there anything in the error message that could help diagnose the problem?

#31373 - 06/16/09 09:35 PM Re: Error selecting printer for "Print using a Windows Driver"
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
From that same PC, have you tried printing to the same printer from the PlanetPress Design tool?

This would at least tell us if a regular "logged on" PlanetPress Suite application is able to access the printer.

#31374 - 06/17/09 09:35 AM Re: Error selecting printer for "Print using a Windows Driver"
Justin K Offline
OL Toddler

Hi Pilippe,

Thanks for the reply.

When I use "Print using a Windows Driver" in Design, as soon as I press the Print button an Error dialog pops up that reads "Invalid pointer operation." Nothing is printed.

Does this tell you anything?

Is there any reason a printer that is connected to a workstation via USB and shared through Windows printer sharing would not be supported by PlanetPress?

#31375 - 06/17/09 11:18 AM Re: Error selecting printer for "Print using a Windows Driver"
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

I tested the same type of setup here.
I connected a small printer to one of my PC's USB ports, installed the driver and shared the printer.

One of my colleagues connected to it and successfully printed a basic PlanetPress document. Therefore, USB and shared printer queues seem to work just fine.

So, here are a few things worth noting, and some suggestions:

- The message you receive from the Workflow tool (Could not access printer information. Please reinstall the printer driver) can only occur when the application queries the printer to find its capabilities (in geek terms, we are using the Windows API's GetPrinter function). Unfortunately, this function has a documented quirk: it can sometimes say that it retrieved the information successfully when in fact, it didn't. (see this MSDN page for more information ). Our Workflow tool actually traps this error and informs you of the possible workaround proposed by Microsoft.
- The PlanetPress Design tool does a similar thing except that since it uses the standard Windows Print Dialog windows to let you select the printer, it can't validate your choice and trap this potential problem... hence, the untrapped Invalid Pointer Operation message.

Here's some of the things you may want to try:
- Uninstall the Printer Queue and make sure you completely remove the driver from the list of available drivers (under WinXP, got to Start Menu | Printers and Faxes | Server Properties | Drivers... procedure may vary with other OS'es). Select the appropriate Epson driver and click the Delete button. This ensures that all driver files are actually deleted. Once you've done that, reinstall the driver from scratch and try the operation again.
- If that fails, uninstall the printer and driver again. Then, create another shared printer queue but use another printer driver for it (use a generic driver, like HP Laserjet for instance). Then try printing a very simple document from PlanetPress. This should definitely work, but obviously, you won't have access to your printer's specific functionalities. If it does work, then it means the original driver is the source of the issue. Other applications may be able to print to it because they usually do not need to know the specific capabilities of the device, but PlanetPress Suite does.
- If that still fails, please make sure you gather all the necessary information (versions of Windows, versions of Printer Driver, etc.) and open a Support Call with us.

Hopefully, this will be helpful.

#31376 - 06/17/09 12:59 PM Re: Error selecting printer for "Print using a Windows Driver"
Justin K Offline
OL Toddler

Philippe,

Thanks for detailed response -- it makes sense.

I'll try your suggestions and report back soon.

Interestingly, we are also testing some Epson models which allow either USB or Ethernet connectivity. If connected via USB to a workstation and shared with the PlanetPress server, as I have been trying with the Epson 1400 (USB only), the other models fail in the same manor. Networking them via ethernet, however, works just fine.

Thanks again,

-Justin

#31377 - 06/18/09 05:06 PM Re: Error selecting printer for "Print using a Windows Driver"
Justin K Offline
OL Toddler

Philippe,

I completely removed the drivers and reinstalled with no luck in printing.

I proceeded to test with a couple different generic print drivers, including the HP LaserJet driver you mentioned. I was then able to select the shared printer and send the print job, but the printer produced no output. The closest I got was a bunch of blank pages by using an ancient Epson driver. Perhaps I need to better match a generic driver with this printer, though I too assumed some other PCL driver would work. I'll work more on finding a match, just to prove the point.

Conversely, I tested sharing an HP printer which was connected to a workstation via USB, and PlanetPress printed normally. This supports the idea that the drivers for the Epson are to blame.

Although... (this never ends, does it?) I also discovered that printing from Design via the share that a Remote Desktop session creates through Terminal Services works. I know this doesn't really solve my initial issue, but it proves I can get to the printer through other means.

We're going to test using a hardware print server to network the printer, to see if we can work around the issue in that way (as the other Epson models we're testing, which fail in the same way when connected to workstation via USB, work when using ethernet).

We are currently evaluating PlanetPress before purchase -- this testing with Epsons is one of the last pieces we are trying to prove in our process. Are we entitled to phone support at this time?

Thanks again for your help,

-Justin

#31378 - 06/18/09 08:53 PM Re: Error selecting printer for "Print using a Windows Driver"
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Justin,

It sounds to me like the driver may simply have a timing issue, probably due to the USB connection. To their defense, the designers of that driver may not have realized that there are applications like PlanetPress Suite out there (admittedly, very few) that need to poll the device for immediate information in order to automate processes.

As for phone support, technically you're not entitled to it but I suggest you give your PlanetPress Suite reseller a quick call, explain the situation and they'll arrange something for you.

After all, if you eventually pick our products for your organization, we all win!

#31379 - 06/19/09 08:53 AM Re: Error selecting printer for "Print using a Windows Driver"
Justin K Offline
OL Toddler

Philippe & Raphael,

Thank you both for your help. I'll see if we can arrange support through our reseller as suggested.

-Justin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >