Topic Options
#31385 - 06/18/09 10:38 AM xml splitter problem
CodeX M Offline

Loc: Veldhoven, the Netherlands
Hi,

When we want to process a 50MB xml file with 2580 records containing several hundreds of nodes, the watch server is exploding mad ....
The virtual memory on the server grows from around 300MB to 3000 MB.... with no result.

We use the standard (AltovaXML.exe) xmlsplitter from watch....
To keep our process simple and controllable we prefer the xmlsplitter instead of the generic splitter with a cut and past etc etc....

will there be an update/replacement for this AltovaXML.exe problem?

#31386 - 06/22/09 05:55 PM Re: xml splitter problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi CodeX M,

I am not aware if AltovaXML is the reason for this situation, but it is indeed a known behavior that when processing XML files in PlanetPress, they require at least 10 times their size in memory, and it is even more with XSLT. We always suggest our customers to keep the data file size to a maximum of 10 to 15 Mb to ensure that no problems occur. I will ask our developers if this is going to change in future releases.

Regards,

Olivier

#31387 - 06/22/09 06:00 PM Re: xml splitter problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is not an issue that is related only to any of our products.

A majoy flaw in XML is the vast amount of resources required to display it or to manipulate it.

For example, if you take your 50 meg file XML file and try and open it in IE or FireFox, the odds are it is going to slow your machine to a crawl and may or may not open at all.

I have dealt with files a little larger than yours using the Saxon package of XML tools. You can check that out at http://www.saxonica.com/

#31388 - 06/24/09 06:26 AM Re: xml splitter problem
CodeX M Offline

Loc: Veldhoven, the Netherlands
Thanks for your information, we'll take a look at this Saxon stuff

#31389 - 08/17/09 01:30 AM Re: xml splitter problem
bordeaux Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Hobart, Tasmania
Hi CodeX

Have you tried to use LinQ? We work with big files and is not problem. By the way we replaced Saxon with LinQ and it shows a big difference.
Cheers