Topic Options
#31397 - 06/23/09 04:13 PM Paper not getting pulled from proper drawer
jkollman Offline
OL Toddler

Loc: Fargo, ND
I'm trying to get a print job to pull from the correct drawer on a Canon C6000 printer. I have tried using both Media Type selection and Paper Drawer selection.
Either way didn't seem to matter, it still just pulls from a "default" drawer. I downloaded the latest PPD file from Canon's website for this printer but I'm still not having any success.
Is this a PPD issue or could it be some setting on the printer? I personally can't physically look at the printer settings as it is in a different location. I'm just trying to narrow down where the issue resides. To me, it seems like the printer is not responding to the PPD that is within the form. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#31398 - 06/24/09 10:23 AM Re: Paper not getting pulled from proper drawer
Benoit Potvin Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Montréal, Canada
Hi,

Your goal is: You want to switch input trays in the same job on a Canon C6000. Or at least, print a whole job using a different drawer than the default one.

Assuming you have the appropriate PPD, here are two things I would suggest to try:

- In the PlanetPress Design document, if the regular Paper Handling commands don't work, look in the 'Advanced Printing Features' properties of the document (or page). Chances are there is an advanced command for drawer selection.

- On the printer, try to have somebody explore the printer program to see if there is an option to customize/configure input trays. This might be important for media selection as sometimes 1) the printer needs to 'know' that such tray uses such paper type and 2) the PlanetPress Design document's media selection command needs to use the same labels (e.g. 'Plain', 'Color', etc.) as the one specified on the printer.

I hope this helps!

Benoit

#31399 - 06/24/09 10:30 AM Re: Paper not getting pulled from proper drawer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

I would like to add that if your printer has an IP address, you can simply type it in a web browser, and you should have access to all the settings available on the printer itself through the menu. That should help you setup your media selection settings even without access to the physical printer.

Note that some printers do not have such a feature(rare) and in some cases you may need to log with a username and password to have access to the printer's settings (contact your IT dept for details if needed).

Regards,

Olivier

#31400 - 06/24/09 10:50 AM Re: Paper not getting pulled from proper drawer
jkollman Offline
OL Toddler

You are correct - the whole job needs to use different paper sources.

For the job I am trying to print, I have two forms:
1) Form 1 uses the PPD for the Canon iR110.
2) Form 2 used the PPD for the Canon C6000.

We've had iR110 form and it uses Media types. It prints correctly and pulls the correct media from the different paper sources.

We purchased a C6000 to do some color printing. I created a form using the C6000 PPD, using media selection like we did for our iR110. I had the operators setup the media type library on the C6000 like they did on the iR110.

When we print the job, it's like I stated in my first post ... the whole job only prints on one paper type - it's not pulling the media from the different paper sources. I tried switching the form from using Media to Drawer selection and it still only pulls from one drawer.

I'm not sure if it's the PPD I'm using or if it is some setting on the printer that is the cause. I downloaded the newest version of PPD from Canon's website for the C6000. With all the different PPD files available, I'm assuming the latest version should work.

We may have to have contact our Canon rep to help go through the printer selections.

Thanks for your response.

#31401 - 06/25/09 09:11 AM Re: Paper not getting pulled from proper drawer
Adrian Offline
OL Expert

Loc: UK
I just set-up V7 for use on a Canon C6000. It is driven by a Canon iPR Server A2100 RIP. I found that I had to us the PPD for the server rather than the printer itself. The PPD file is simply called server.ppd and comes up in the Designer PPD selection box as Canon iPR Server A2100 V2.0

Media selection does work with this PPD. Good luck.

Adrian

#31402 - 06/25/09 12:53 PM Re: Paper not getting pulled from proper drawer
jkollman Offline
OL Toddler

Adrian,

Thanks for the reply. I was using the PPD which is Canon iPR Server A3100 V2.0. I verified which RIP we have an it is an A3100. I did find and try the PPD you mentioned (A2100 V2.0) but it also did not work. I've tried both Media selection and Drawer selection. I currently have a Canon tech looking into the issue. I still believe there is some setting on the printer that is not quite right. It's like the printer is not using the PPD definition, it just pulls from a default drawer.
If I get this working, I will update the post with the solution.

#31403 - 07/02/09 12:52 PM Re: Paper not getting pulled from proper drawer
jkollman Offline
OL Toddler

I'm just posting an update to my issue.

I've been working with a Canon Production Print Analyst and a Canon Production Color Analyst. We are using the Canon iPR Server A3100 V2.0(US) PPD. We have tried selecting the Paper Source via Paper Handling and Advanced Paper Handling in PlantPress but have not been able to get different paper sources to work ... it's always pulling paper from a "default" drawer.

They have engaged Canon USA in resolving this issue.

I have done this with no issues on other printers. I don't know if the issue is the Fiery RIP on the C6000 and/or a combination of the PPD. I've stated previously we have tried many different PPD files for the C6000 and all have yielded the same results.

Has anyone else had this same type of issue, even with a different printer?

I will update again with the resolution if and when we find one.

#31404 - 07/02/09 01:37 PM Re: Paper not getting pulled from proper drawer
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
I took a look at your PPD. It looks like you're going to have to ask Canon/EFI for the recipe in order to achieve what you want.

Out of the zillion options listed in there, I spotted a few that seem to pertain to Input Tray selection... but I unfortunately can't tell you which one(s) should be used, or in which order.

We see this sort of thing happen from time to time, expecially when using PPDs that are designed for RIP servers, since they contain so many options.

There is unfortunately no generic solution. Your hardware manufacturer is your best resource, otherwise you'll have to go through trial and error.

Please let us know what you find out.

#31405 - 08/04/09 04:19 PM Re: Paper not getting pulled from proper drawer
jkollman Offline
OL Toddler

I'm finally getting back to updating the post.

We do have the whole process working correctly now.

Originally, I set up the form to use Media Selection and this did not work. I then changed the form to do Drawer Selection. When all was said and done, it turns out the operator who was printing my job for me was just reprinting the job from the printer itself. Once this was finally determined, the job was reprinted ... going through Watch and then to the printer. The printer pulled the paper from the correct drawers.

What I was trying before I posted my issue was correct ... as long as the job was printed as it should have been. I guess sometime that is an issue when the printer is physically in a different location and you are relying on someone else to print the job for you.

So basically, I am able to use Drawer Selection on the Canon C6000 and all paper is pulled from the appropriate drawer.

Thanks to everyone who posted their suggestions and ideas.