Topic Options
#31406 - 06/24/09 10:36 AM SOAP input question
Ryan.Barrett Offline
OL Toddler

Loc: Saint Louis Missouri
I don't see much information in the documentation about the SOAP input.

Can someone steer me in the right direction?

I have a Soap input setup like "TestJabberRyan" and I have VisualStudio2008. I have written some stuff with WSDL, so I'd assume the SOAP is similar.

Is anyone working with anything like this?

Thank you kindly,
-Ryan

#31407 - 06/24/09 10:49 AM Re: SOAP input question
Benoit Potvin Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Montréal, Canada
Hi Ryan,

Are you trying to have PlanetPress perform a SOAP request to a 3rd party SOAP Server (or a SOAP Server you are developing), or to have PlanetPress respond to SOAP requests from 3rd party SOAP clients (or a SOAP Client you are developing)?

In other words, do you want to use PlanetPress's SOAP Client plugin, or PlanetPress's SOAP Server (including Input SOAP plugin)?

Benoit

#31408 - 06/24/09 10:57 AM Re: SOAP input question
Ryan.Barrett Offline
OL Toddler

Loc: Saint Louis Missouri
Hi Benoit,
The PlanetPress SOAP Server.
I am developing the Client.

Sorry I was not very specific.
Thanks,
-Ryan

#31409 - 06/24/09 12:14 PM Re: SOAP input question
Benoit Potvin Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Montréal, Canada
Ryan,

Using the SOAP Server allows a 3rd party SOAP client to:

- Send a job to PlanetPress Workflow
- Get a file back from PlanetPress Workflow
- Send input parameters (name/value pairs)
- Receive output parameters (again, name/value pairs)

All of the above can be realized with the PlanetPress SOAP Server's SubmitJob method, whose description is in the WSD file published by the Workflow tool at this URL:

http://127.0.0.1:8080/wsdl/isoapact

From the PlanetPress Workflow operator's viewpoint, the idea is to create SOAP Processes, that is, processes whose input task is the 'Input SOAP' plugin.

The SOAP client has to request the SubmitJob method with appropriate input/output paramters:

INPUT:
- A filename to send to the SOAP Server (e.g. C:\myfile.dat)

- A SOAP action name. This name MUST correspond to the SOAP Input parameter of the desired SOAP process's Input SOAP plugin.

- An original file name

- An optional list of variables in the form of name/value pairs.

- A boolean (True/False) indicating if the client wants the server to return a file.

- A Username an a Password. The Username/Password must correspond to the one specified by the Workflow tool operator in the Access Manager. Its a novelty in version 7: If you open the access manager, you will notice a 'SOAP' tab. This SOAP Access Manager allows to define username/password pairs along with a selection of processes that a SOAP client could access by providing the given username/pwd.

OUTPUT
You can choose to use extract your data from the RAW SOAP response, or use the output parameters as specified in the WSD file:

- An integer representing the success or failure of the request (e.g. 0 is for success)

- A string representing the success/falure (e.g. 'Success')

- The invoked SOAP action name

- The original file name

- An optional list of output parameters (name/value pairs).

- A filename for an eventual response file.

-------
In the SOAP process, the file returned to the client is the job file at the end of the process.

I did not explain how the input/output parameter passing works. It has to do with the local variables in the SOAP process.

Hope this helps you get started! Feel free to ask for more information or give details on the kind of task you would like the SOAP Server to perform.

Benoit