Topic Options
#31410 - 06/27/09 12:57 AM Watch Scripting Support (Python)
Kevin McGuire Offline

Loc: United States
I am not currently at the system with the installed watch application. And, even if I was I might still have a question which if answered could save a lot of time.

I have found it difficult to get precise documentation on the scripting support of watch, but I can tell by using the drop-down menu when adding a script execution action in a process inside of the watch configuration application that it supports a few scripting languages.

My question is exactly how is this support done. I understand that, of course, vbscript support is likely provided by the operating system or so I would guess.

A more specific question is such of that for Python. I am new to Python, but lately there has been some stir in the community on a switch to a 3.x series which is not backwards compatible. Something in the language has changed.

So what I need to know is if Watch provides the python interface for scripting or if a python interpreter needs to be installed?

I would like to go ahead and propose to my company about a potential benefit of switching from vbscript to using python for some of our scripts which may over time become more computationaly expensive, and of course some of the language features of Python may be better. So I need to decide to start working with the 3.x language or the older language, ect..

#31411 - 06/27/09 09:50 AM Re: Watch Scripting Support (Python)
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
Hi Kevin,

No need to change anything to your habits. If you like Python, you can use Python!

PlanetPress Watch allows you to work in one of 4 languages: VBScript, JavaScript, PERL and Python. The only requirement is that those languages have to be installed as one of the system's Active Scripting languages.

That means you can't use the standard Python distribution, but you can use the Active Python version, which doesn't require any additional license.

Hope that helps,

#31412 - 06/27/09 12:14 PM Re: Watch Scripting Support (Python)
Kevin McGuire Offline

Loc: United States
I appreciate the response. You have explained everything perfectly. Although, you can already imagine what I am thinking when I see that I have to buy something extra when it exists already for free and in a form that could be modified if a critical situation arose.

I will likely just go around it and use the standard Python distribution if anything.

#31413 - 06/28/09 04:21 AM Re: Watch Scripting Support (Python)
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
Kevin,

ActivePython is free.