Topic Options
#31496 - 08/07/09 12:57 PM Debug and splitting weirdness
-nth- Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Lincoln, NE
I've noticed that if I am testing a process that contains a splitter (xml splitter in my case) it doesn't always behave as I would expect.

For example, if I've got a data file with 5 records in it and step through splitting 2 of the records, stop the debug session (to make a change in a task), then start debugging again, it starts at record 3. I would think that since I stopped the debug session and started again, it would reset to record 1.

This happens too if I switch to a different data file after starting a debug. For example, I step through 2 splits (2 records) on data file 1, stop debug, switch to data file 2 and then start debugging again... the process starts on record 3 of data file 1!

The only thing I can do to reset the data file is close the config tool and reopen it. This gets annoying when I'm trying to test process logic/conditions on different records within one data file. (Once I've stepped through the record there's no way to test that same record again without closing the app)

In watching the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Objectif Lune\PlanetPress Suite 7\PlanetPress Watch\Debug folder, once a debug session is started, the debug file is created. When I stop a debug session, the debug file stays put, so when I start it again, it uses the original file (and I'm assuming a pointer to the next record inside the original file).

Is this behavior expected?

If it is normal behavior, could I request a preference be created to control clearing the debug file between sessions? smile

If not normal, can you fix it? laugh

-nth-

#31497 - 08/07/09 01:13 PM Re: Debug and splitting weirdness
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi -nth-,

You described in details all the known issues regarding splitters in debug mode. It happens with all splitters, not only the XML splitter.

Another way of getting back on track, is to hit the play button so all records get splitted. I know it is not very pretty, but it's all we can do until this is fixed. Be careful if you have two splitters in the same debug run at different places. Make sure you reset both properly. As you mentioned, closing and reopening the config tool will reset both just fine, but is not very practical.

This has been known for at least a year and a half now, maybe more, so I will try to get you the info regarding a fix, if any. Maybe there is a good reason why it happens (technology limitation)and our developers might not be able to get around it. I will update here as soon as possible.

Regards,

Olivier

#31498 - 08/07/09 01:51 PM Re: Debug and splitting weirdness
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi -nth-,

I just got confirmation that the splitters are now fixed in Version7, except for the XML splitter. They are still working on it. I will update the forums as soon as I have new information.

Thanks for your understanding.
Regards,

Olivier

#31499 - 08/07/09 02:16 PM Re: Debug and splitting weirdness
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi -nth-,

Already got some good news. I have confirmation that the XML splitter is fixed and will be released in version 7.1.

Regards,

Olivier

#31500 - 08/07/09 02:25 PM Re: Debug and splitting weirdness
-nth- Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Can't wait to have it working!

Dare I ask when 7.1 will be available???

#31501 - 08/07/09 02:29 PM Re: Debug and splitting weirdness
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am sorry I do not have that information.