Topic Options
#33164 - 08/30/10 10:33 AM Kerning
TyranXWC Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: South Africa
Hey

Is there any plan to support kerning in future versions of PSM?.

I have many customers who are running PSM and require kerning.

Thanks

#33167 - 08/30/10 11:17 AM Re: Kerning [Re: TyranXWC]
Marc-Andr
Unregistered

Here is a little work around posted before by Raphaël

Previous Post

Quote:
The help file states that spacing between characters(also known as kerning) is only available on the Mac version of PSM, but the truth is that there is a way to make it work on the Windows version.

In Microsoft Word, if you have a word that has some spacing between characters, you can simply highlite it and copy-paste it into a text object in PSM, and the spacing will be kept! Furthermore, if you type this in word: "@myvariable@", add some spacing between characters, and then copy-paste that in PSM, it will become a variable, so it is possible to have variable data with spacing between characters!

Have fun with this little trick!

As for it being part of a release I would suggest making a post in the feature request.

Hope this helps.

Marc

#33169 - 08/30/10 11:21 AM Re: Kerning [Re: ]
TyranXWC Offline
OL Newbie

Thats awesome, I'll give it a shot.

Originally Posted By: Marc-Andr
As for it being part of a release I would suggest making a post in the feature request.

I thought this was the feature requests section, lol

#33170 - 08/30/10 11:30 AM Re: Kerning [Re: TyranXWC]
Marc-Andr
Unregistered

oops. It is, I just did not look at the section and answered the post. Hehe. So this is just a work around in the meantime.

Marc

#33183 - 08/31/10 08:13 AM Re: Kerning [Re: ]
Sander vd Berg Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune NL
Hi,

In PSM 7.0 you can currently use the following shortcut keys while editing a text object:

* Ctrl+Shift+[ = Condense (decrease character spacing by increments of 0.5pt)
* Ctrl+Shift+] = Expand (increase character spacing by increments of 0.5pt)
* Ctrl+Space = Reset Spacing

In PSM 7.1 these hidden features will be exposed in a menu in the user interface.

PSM 7.1 also allows you to specify character spacing as an exact value, and you can turn on automatic kerning for a selection of text. Automatic kerning is based on metrics kerning: font-dependent adjustments for specific character pairs designed to make characters in words look more evenly spaced.

#33185 - 08/31/10 10:49 AM Re: Kerning [Re: Sander vd Berg]
TyranXWC Offline
OL Newbie

That is perfect. I look forward to 7.1