Topic Options
#36887 - 08/12/11 09:13 AM Reprinting Capture docs after closing
Lou Pace Offline
OL User

Loc: Bloomfield, New Jersey
This pertains to reprocessing PGC after a doc has been closed.

I have an app where I have 3 different documents that could potentially get inked. After docs are closed, the record is deleted from the DB and the pattern released, but what if someone re-inks a document after its closed? Yes, an error will occur in the Capture Fields Processor but any tips on how to react to this error? I can retrieve the original data (I archive all of it) and lay it over a template of the original doc but I can't identify WHICH document was re-inked, there's nothing to process but the PGC. Ideally, I'd like to print something that says "Document previously closed" as a watermark over the original doc.

thanks for the advice,

Lou
Is there something I can add

#36899 - 08/12/11 04:13 PM Re: Reprinting Capture docs after closing [Re: Lou Pace]
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Online   content
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
Lou,

Closed documents are not meant to be reopened or reinked. Once the document is signed and closed, it cannot be reopened. Even if you reink the document, it's no longer in the Capture database, so you'll get an error.

So you'll have no choice but reprint the invoice if you want the customer to sign it again.

Regards,
Raphaël Lalonde Lefebvre

#36938 - 08/16/11 06:12 PM Re: Reprinting Capture docs after closing [Re: Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre]
Benoit Potvin
Unregistered

Lou,

Quote:
What if someone re-inks a document after its closed? Yes, an error will occur in the Capture Fields Processor but any tips on how to react to this error?

Do not forget the probability - altough very small ( generally close to 1/10000 but can be bigger) - that the pattern used in the closed document is in use on another open document. In such a case, the Capture Fields Processor won't generate an error and the open document will be (wrongly) processed even though the ink was placed on a pattern that was used on a closed document, because they use the same pattern. I believe Pattern Sequences could be used here to prevent this case from happening, but it would require further analysis.

Quote:
Ideally, I'd like to print something that says "Document previously closed" as a watermark over the original doc.

The goal is very legit. Pattern ID's retreived from pen data could be the key to retrieve an already closed document, provided that the closed document contains some reference to the pattern ID it used when it was open. But over time, you have to take into account the fact that several documents will end up using the same pattern (not at the same time, of course, but assuming a pattern is unlocked when a document is closed).

For example, say that you save every closed document with a reference to the Pattern ID it used, in order to retrieve if a user writes on a closed document. Now if you write on the pattern of an already-closed document X and then dock your pen, you still won't be able to tell on which document the client wrote on since already-closed documents X, Y and Z all were created using the same pattern ID, at different times of course.

Hope this helps!

#36975 - 08/22/11 12:02 PM Re: Reprinting Capture docs after closing [Re: ]
Benoit Potvin
Unregistered

Lou,

you might already know about this but I'll post it anyway:

One basic approach I have seen to handle data for closed documents is to set the Capture Fields Processor plug-in's on-Error behavior to transfer the data to an error management process which can then create a PDF with the pen marks and send it to an administrator for instance.

Your PGC Error Management Process could thus look like this:

1. InputErrorBin
2. Run Script
3. Send to Folder

Where the Run Script plug-in uses the PlanetPress Capture API to create a PDF with only the pen marks (i.e. those written on a pattern with no corresponding open document). Here is the code (using VB):

Code:
Option explicit
Dim cc, oCap, oPS

Set oCap = CreateObject("CaptureLib.Capture")
oCap.Connect "127.0.0.1",0,"PPCapture Default Connection","",""

set OPS = oCap.PenStore
Set CC = CreateObject("CaptureLib.PGCUtility")
cc.LoadFromFile watch.GetJobFileName

CC.SaveAsPDF watch.GetJobFileName, oPS

Disclaimer: The above code is provided as is without any guarantee.

Hope this helps

#37160 - 09/12/11 08:16 AM Re: Reprinting Capture docs after closing [Re: ]
Lou Pace Offline
OL User

Loc: Bloomfield, New Jersey
Thanks Ben for the good suggestions. I'll give this a try!