Topic Options
#38609 - 02/27/12 02:37 AM Is it possible search&extract PDF in planetpress ?
Andy1974 Offline
OL Guru

Loc: Hong Kong
Dear everyone,

I've one question and I want to know whether it can be run in planetpress.

I've PDF file which generate by some software in every working day. I need to search specified 'word', e.g. 'ABC Company' in all the pages of this PDF and then extract these pages which contain this word and save into one pdf file.

Is it possible to do it in planetpress ??

Many thanks !

Best Regards,
Andy...

#38610 - 02/27/12 06:27 AM Re: Is it possible search&extract PDF in planetpress ? [Re: Andy1974]
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
Your must have the PlanetPress Office or the PlanetPress Production edition of the Suite in order to do this.

To implement the process, you would not even need to build a PlanetPress Document. You would likely create a process that takes your PDF file as input data and has the following steps:
  • Create Metadata task, in Passthrough mode, for that PDF file.
  • Metadata Fields Management task to add a metadata field named "Company", with its contents set to the area containing the Company name on each page of the original PDF
  • Metadata Filter task to select only Metadata pages whose "Company" field contains "ABC Company"
  • Create PDF task in Passthrough mode to generate a new PDF containing only the filtered pages from the original PDF file

I hope that helps.

#38647 - 02/29/12 09:03 PM Re: Is it possible search&extract PDF in planetpress ? [Re: Philippe F.]
Andy1974 Offline
OL Guru

Dear Philippe,

Many thanks your reply !

Now, I'm using planetpress production ver 7.1 and according to your instructions, I've some questions on it.

1) Is it set 'Folder capture' to receive the PDF file in first step ?

2) When use 'Create metadata' in passthrough mode, is it use below setting :

Documents
File name Document name Description
None N/A Do not use a document(passthrough)

3) In 'Metadata Fields Management', do you mean set 'Action' to "Add", 'Field information' has four level,
(Job, Group, Document, Data page), which one should I use ?
Do you mean set "Company" to 'Field name' ? What should I set in 'Field value' ? And What should I set in 'Rule' ?

4) In 'Metadata Filter task', what should I set in 'Group',
'Document' & 'Data page' ? And after pressed button '[...]',
it'll open one page 'Rule', what should I set in this page ??

5) In 'Create PDF', is it use below setting :

File name Document name Description
None N/A Do not use a document(passthrough)

Sorry that I've so many questions, because I haven't any concept on Metadata and I haven't any knowledges on it. If possible, can you give me some examples which contain the screen capture ?
Where can I get more information on function 'Metadata' ?

Thank you so much !

Best Regards,
Andy...

#38653 - 03/01/12 08:49 AM Re: Is it possible search&extract PDF in planetpress ? [Re: Andy1974]
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
Andy,

First of all, when you design your new process, make sure you load one of those PDF files as your Sample Data file, to make your job easier. Then, in anwer to your questions:

1- Yes
2- Yes
3-
  • Action= "Add"
  • Level= "Data Page"
  • Field name= "Company"
  • Field Value= Right click in that field, then select "Get Data Location". The data selector will pop up and you can draw a box to delimit the region in which the "ABC Company name" appears on the page. Click OK. The field value will now contain the command to extract the contents of that specific region from each page in the PDF and store it in the "Company" metadata field.
  • Rule= None.

4- Click in "Data Page", then on the "..." button at the end of the line. In the Rule window that pops up, click on the checkbox at the top to add a condition to the rule. Click on "Choose information" and type "Company". Then click on "Choose operator" and select "Equal". Then click on "Click to set expression" and type "ABC Company". Then press OK. This creates a condition that is going to filter the metadata so that only those pages in which the Company metadata field is equal to "ABC company" are included in the rest of the processing.
5- Yes. By selecting Passthrough mode, the "Create PDF" will use the metadata setting to create a new PDF out of the original one. Since the metadata now specifies that only the pages with ABC Company should be included, you'll get a filtered PDF out of that task. You can then send that PDF to any folder.

I hope this clarifies things.

#38813 - 03/15/12 10:09 PM Re: Is it possible search&extract PDF in planetpress ? [Re: Philippe F.]
Andy1974 Offline
OL Guru

Dear Philippe,

Sorry for late reply ! Many thanks your detail explanation for
the procedure. I've tried it and it works now.

Thank you very much !!!

Best Regards,
Andy...