Topic Options
#41309 - 11/05/12 02:28 PM Slow rip/spool
ampoole Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Appleton, WI
I have a project that I am working on. This is how the project works:
File is dropped into a hot folder and a vb app adds line to the the file depending on how many records it states in the column. The data looks like this:
Order Number Form Name QTY
1234 Spanish 2
1234 ZTY98 50
1234 HYT1 10
3456 QRTY123 5

So depending on the QTY column, vb multiplies that line so the first line will show up one line one than again on line 2. The next line will show up 50 times. I am doing this because each form needs to printed that may times based on the file.

Once the file is created, it goes through a form to generate a slip sheet which is housed on the C:\.

The file then goes through a design tool that brings in the slipsheet based on the Order number and also locates the pdf from a network folder location based on the form name. Each line of data is considered a record.

This is then sent to a printer hold queue to be released by the operator.

MY ISSUE The customer is stating that their is a lag time spooling to the Hold queue and an even greater lag time leaving the HOLD queue going to the printer. Some of the order files have been upwards of 300 to 400 megs. It seems roughly 4-5 mins per 100 megs for the file to move to the printer.

I am not sure what to do or if this is a caching problem because the pdfs are not housed within the design so each record is being spooled? HELP!!!!

#41312 - 11/06/12 08:06 AM Re: Slow rip/spool [Re: ampoole]
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
If you're retrieving the PDF files from a network folder, you are more than likely getting a huge performance hit every time you read another PDF file.

You should first try running the exact same process with local copies of the PDF files. That will give you an indication whether network latency is the culprit.

Also, if, for instance, you are calling 50 times the same PDF file dynamically, you're asking your document template to treat that PDF file as if it were 50 different files (as opposed to being a single file that's reused 50 times and which can therefore be cached).

You may have to rethink the logic behind the document template if that's the case. You may want to open a call with our tech support crew so they can take a look at the document and the PDF files in order to propose a more efficient alternative.

Edited by Philippe F. (11/06/12 08:07 AM)
Edit Reason: typos

#41313 - 11/06/12 08:20 AM Re: Slow rip/spool [Re: Philippe F.]
ampoole Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Appleton, WI
How would I go about making a tech support call?

How do I call a pdf and print it based on a variable number in the data?

#41314 - 11/06/12 09:07 AM Re: Slow rip/spool [Re: ampoole]
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
ampoole,

To open a tech support call, you can dial 1-866-348-5863 and ask for Support, or you can do it through the web:

http://www.objectiflune.com/OL/en-CA/Support/ReportIssue/PlanetPressSuite.aspx

EDIT: Seems like you've already figured it out!

Regards,
Raphaƫl Lalonde Lefebvre

Edited by Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre (11/06/12 09:07 AM)