Topic Options
#42119 - 01/29/13 03:52 PM Expression Builder question
fourpaula Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Tennessee, USA
I am trying to build an expression that contains database fields and text but I can figure out which function to use or how to make this work. What am I missing? It seems like something easy so my apologies in advance.

Example:
[Name]"<tab>"[ADDRESS]"<tab>"[City]"<tab>"[State]"<tab>"[ZIP]

#42121 - 01/29/13 04:48 PM Re: Expression Builder question [Re: fourpaula]
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
fourpaula,

You need to put & signs between field references and static strings. Example:

[Name] & "<tab>" & [ADDRESS] & "<tab>" & [City] & "<tab>" & [State] & "<tab>" & [ZIP]

That's basically it.

Also, about using the TAB character, I'm not sure if it will behave as expected if used this way. Perhaps you would be better off using a few spaces instead, if the tab doesn't work properly.

Regards,
Raphaël Lalonde-Lefebvre

#42124 - 01/30/13 08:13 AM Re: Expression Builder question [Re: fourpaula]
fourpaula Offline
OL Newbie

I am building a datamatrix barcode to be scanned and put the individual data fields into an excel spreadsheet. The scanner requires TAB to be built this way so I REALLY hope this works.
Thank you so much for your help!

#42134 - 01/31/13 09:44 AM Re: Expression Builder question [Re: Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre]
fourpaula Offline
OL Newbie

Raphael,

How can I prevent the <tab> from importing into excel?
I need the <tab> for the scanner, but I do not want those charactures to import into Excel.

What I need is for the data to load in excel in a clean format. Example: Name in one column, Address is next column, City,St and Zip in another column.

#42135 - 01/31/13 09:57 AM Re: Expression Builder question [Re: fourpaula]
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
fourpaula,

To be honest, I'm not sure if there is much we can do here. Exporting data to an Excel file isn't what PrintShop Mail is made for(it's made to read from an Excel file, not export to one). This seems to be a functionality of your scanner that can also export to Excel, but we cannot provide support for this, as we have no control over how external technology works, or guarantee that integrating them with our software will work.

Still, feel free to contact Technical Support if you want them to take a closer look at your case, they will be able to call you and perhaps connect to your machine to see exactly what you are trying to do. You can call 1-866-348-5863, or use the web page:

http://www.objectiflune.com/OL/en-CA/Support/ReportIssue/PrintShopMailSuite.aspx

Regards,
Raphaël Lalonde-Lefebvre