Topic Options
#44925 - 09/12/13 06:29 AM Paris Conversion
John Price Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Wigan, UK
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or if its allowed but I am in the early stages of dialog with a client who may want to migrate work to us for printing and mailing.

They use a product called Paris and I wonder if any of you have any experiance with converting documents from Paris to PP7 and if I should be aware of any issues or pit falls.

Many Thanks

#44926 - 09/12/13 07:02 AM Re: Paris Conversion [Re: John Price]
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
We try to avoid comparing PlanetPress' feature set with that of competing applications, if only because applications are usually a moving target that evolves with time, so any knowledge one may have at any particular point it time could very well be obsolete a few months later.

That being said there are some general rules of thumb when converting from one application to another:
  • How are internal/external resources being handled: PlanetPress has the option to store some resources inside the documents or to call them dynamically from disk. In general, recreating a document requires that you have access to the original resources that were used in the creation of the original document. This includes both images and fonts.
  • Barcoding logic can be different from one application to the other: some applications require that you feed the barcoding engine with the exact string to be encoded, while others need only the actual visible contents and automatically add control, start/end and checksum characters.
  • The handling of overflowing pages is also specific to each application. The logic is likely to be completely different in order to achieve the same results.
  • Converting finishing information may also be challenging: some applications add it as a post process (i.e. after the job has been processed) while others (like PlanetPress) include it in the job as it is being built.

I know the above points are very general and do not provide specific pitfalls, but they are the main areas to watch. It's worth noting, however, that a document design is - by far - mostly comprised of very standard visual elements: text, images, boxes, etc. Those can usually be recreated quite easily with any respectable package, expecially a WYSIWYG one. So you can safely assume that 80-90% of the job will just be a question of re-creating those standard visual elements.

Hope that helps a bit.