ampoole Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Appleton, WI
Here are the Steps:
1. Input folder grabs a file
2. Based on text in file, create a variable
3. File goes to Planetpress Image and creates PDF

Simple Enough!!!

Well I want to to password protect that file with the variable I created. I know you can type in a password under the job options tab in Planetpress Image but I am not sure how to use the variable as a password.

Is this possible?

#46696 - 02/06/14 05:23 PM Re: Variable Password [Re: ampoole]
Jeff_K
Unregistered

ampoole,
Right click in the password window, and you will find a drop down of options.

Place a SetJobInfos action to capture the variable(step2) prior to the Image action. Then use this variable in the password window.

#46699 - 02/07/14 12:27 AM Re: Variable Password [Re: ampoole]
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
ampoole,

Please be VERY careful when using this option. If, at any point, your variable does not contain valid data, you will be locking the PDF with a password that might make no sense at all. And your PDF's will be all but unusable.

I am not advising you not to go ahead with your plan... but I am advising you to double... no, triple-check your process before you put it into production.

Better be safe than sorry, my grandma always said.

#46703 - 02/07/14 09:13 AM Re: Variable Password [Re: ampoole]
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
Maybe you could add a branch right before your Image output, and put the name and variable password inside a .txt file that you generate on the side, so you have a list of all pdf and their passwords(obviously, you will keep this file for yourself).

In the branch, use a Create File action, where you will put the same name that you use in Image for the name of the pdf, followed by a comma, and then the variable password(can be a data selection, or a Job Info variable as Jeff suggested...). After that, use a Send to Folder, call the file "pdf_passwords.txt", and check the concatenate file option(feel free to change the name, but it must be a static name if we want concatenation to work). You can remove the separator string \014, you don't need it for this.

This way, if something goes wrong, or if you or somebody else forget the password of the pdf, then you will have a reference, and you'll be able to see what exactly has been put in the pdf's password.

Regards,
Raphaƫl Lalonde Lefebvre

#46723 - 02/11/14 05:10 PM Re: Variable Password [Re: ampoole]
ampoole Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Appleton, WI
Thank you for all the feedback! All the information helps!