Topic Options
#49162 - 08/29/14 07:51 AM Logging level questions
joersmith Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
I remeber working a case with one of the great support people at Objectif Lune where he had me change the logging level to get better information. The change caused workflow to actually generate a separate very verbose log for each process. It would be handy for me to turn this on for a short period to try and work out a possible issue before opening a support call. How is this done?

Also, is there a way to get more information in the HTTP log that is generated? Right now it only shows request start, source, action, request end.

Thanks!

#49163 - 08/29/14 08:55 AM Re: Logging level questions [Re: joersmith]
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
Hi joersmith,

To enable the logging level you talk about, go in the Preferences under Plug-in->General where you usually change the log level. Then press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F12, and you will see the secret option appear. Check it to enable it. The reason it's hidden by default is that in most cases, it's just too much information, and it can have an impact on performances with that much monitoring and logging going on. It's really only useful for debugging purposes and troubleshooting issues, not for standard usage.

As for the HTTP log, setting the log level to "All events with details" will help, and also, under "HTTP Server Input 1", check the "Verbose log" option for more details in the log.

Regards,
Raphaël Lalonde Lefebvre

#49164 - 08/29/14 09:48 AM Re: Logging level questions [Re: joersmith]
joersmith Offline
OL Expert

Thank You! I knew there was a secret key, I just could not remember it. As for the HTTP, Those options wer ealready checked. I guess the 4 peices of info is all i am going to get for the soap requests I am looking at.

Thanks!

#54562 - 02/15/17 11:50 AM Re: Logging level questions [Re: joersmith]
Wolfgang Offline
OL Toddler

Loc: Dallas, TX
Raphael: I know by default that the Watch Log file gets updated AFTER the step/process executes...is there a "realtime" option? I realize this may mean a performance hit, but I need to know when things are really running and really done. Thanks!

#54563 - 02/15/17 03:33 PM Re: Logging level questions [Re: joersmith]
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
There is no real-time option other than the one Raphaël already described above.

#54569 - 02/16/17 09:08 AM Re: Logging level questions [Re: joersmith]
joersmith Offline
OL Expert

Thank You!

#55347 - 09/26/17 10:53 AM Re: Logging level questions [Re: joersmith]
Wolfgang Offline
OL Toddler

Loc: Dallas, TX
I turned on this feature for several days...and I have questions...

When this feature is enabled, is it normal for Watch to create a separate log file for each process? That's what happened. I'm ok with this as long as it's normal behavior.

As time goes on, each log file gets appended, but when I review them, there's no date/time stamp to indicate when the process ran. It's just a continuous stream.

How does this feature impact using the Service Console?

#55349 - 09/26/17 11:30 AM Re: Logging level questions [Re: joersmith]
Jean-Cédric Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Québec, Canada
This is the normal behavior.

As Raphael mentioned, that option is for debugging only. It is of common practice to delete those logs at the end of the day as they do not have a date stamp but only time and will append the same files over and over...They will become VERY big with time.

The Service Console will still show the regular logging of Workflow.

As for the impact on performance...well instead of logging once at the end of the process ( 1 disk access) it logs each and every line of logs directly in the process name logs (A LOT of access disk).

Please use that feature carefully.