Topic Options
#53031 - 02/04/16 08:32 PM P2V the PP7 Server
Whitebase Offline
OL Newbie

Hi,

We've purchase a new cluster VM Server and we would like to migrate the exisiting production PlanetPress from the existing server to the New VM server.
However, after we converted and mount the image on the new VM server, it prompts for the activation key. (We've assigned the same size of Harddisk and CPU core to the guest OS.)

Any suggestion on how to P2V the PP server seamlessly and safely?

Also, the clustered VM servers has two physical servers. They have the function to detect the status of each other. Once any of them server down, the healthy server will pickup all the guest OS on the downed server. Will this case also prompt for the activation?

#53033 - 02/05/16 10:19 AM Re: P2V the PP7 Server [Re: Whitebase]
Philippe F. Online   content
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
If you're using one of VMWare's products, you do have to get a new activation code (as you found out), but once that's done the software should be fine from that point on, even in case of failover switching of servers. HyperV should also be fine.

If you are using a different type of VM environment, however, then I can't say for sure as we haven't tested them: you will have to experiment.