Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#53545 - 06/14/16 05:23 AM PP Suite Workflow Config - W1534 - Out of memory
Roebie Offline
OL Toddler

Dear,

After making some changes to our workflow we get this "W1534 : Error while Saving the configuration file : Out of memory" error message when trying to save the new configuration.

The file should be stored as C:\ProgramData\Objectif Lune\PlanetPress Suite 7\PlanetPress Watch\ppwatch.pw7 and C:\ProgramData\Objectif Lune\PlanetPress Suite 7\PlanetPress Watch\ppwatch.~pw7 which are both empty at this time.

We have tried renaming them (to get them out of the way while keeping them even though they are empty) and then trying to save again, but to no avail. We keep getting the same error message.

Unfortunately our most recent backup of this file is dated 2015-09-04. We have made too many changes since then to just loose them all.

I also noticed that C:\ProgramData\Objectif Lune\PlanetPress Suite 7\PlanetPress Watch\ppwatch.cfg is empty too, which I think is not right either.

In previous (old) forum topics I saw suggestions to restart the server or upgrade PP, but I suppose that would mean we loose the whole configuration, which we clearly can not afford.

Is there anything you or we can do to get this right again?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer us.

Bart Degryse
Indicator N.V.
Belgium

#53546 - 06/14/16 05:40 AM Re: PP Suite Workflow Config - W1534 - Out of memory [Re: Roebie]
Stefan Riemke Offline
OL Newbie

i have the same Problem.

Disable recover in the workflow-options is the only way i know.

We have sometimes more than 200 processes und about 1000 Statements each process. The cfg is > 40 MB.
So, after 3,5 GB of ram the watch crashed. (sounds like the 32bit ram design).

#53547 - 06/14/16 06:03 AM Re: PP Suite Workflow Config - W1534 - Out of memory [Re: Stefan Riemke]
Roebie Offline
OL Toddler

Hi Stefan,
Where do you disable this recover? I've been looking at the preferences window but couldn't find this option.

#53548 - 06/14/16 06:32 AM Re: PP Suite Workflow Config - W1534 - Out of memory [Re: Roebie]
Stefan Riemke Offline
OL Newbie

Sorry,
Preferences
Default configuration
Enable undo/redo functionality

but you can´t use undo anymore smirk

#53549 - 06/14/16 08:02 AM Re: PP Suite Workflow Config - W1534 - Out of memory [Re: Stefan Riemke]
Roebie Offline
OL Toddler

Ok, I found it. But turning it off doesn't help. I still get the same error message when trying to save.

#53550 - 06/14/16 08:16 AM Re: PP Suite Workflow Config - W1534 - Out of memory [Re: Roebie]
Stefan Riemke Offline
OL Newbie

I know. i´ve tried it myself.
After 1,2 GB the watch crashed with out of Memory und you can´t save anymore. No idea at the momemt. the undo Option (for the next time) help you, but not yet.

#53551 - 06/14/16 08:26 AM Re: PP Suite Workflow Config - W1534 - Out of memory [Re: Roebie]
Stefan Riemke Offline
OL Newbie

PlanetPress Production-Konfiguration - Exception occurred on 2016/06/14 14:24:34
PlanetPress Production Version 7.6.1.9352
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error message: Exception EOutOfMemory in module rtl60.bpl at 00001FDC.
Out of memory.

ExceptAddr: 40002FDC
hInstance: 00400000
VirtAddress: 3FC01FDC

Unit:
Proc:
Line: 0

Call Stack:
[40002FD7]{rtl60.bpl } System.@GetMem + $13
[006D940E]{ppwcfg.exe }
[006E5D64]{ppwcfg.exe }
[006E4BD4]{ppwcfg.exe }

#53552 - 06/14/16 08:36 AM Re: PP Suite Workflow Config - W1534 - Out of memory [Re: Roebie]
Stefan Riemke Offline
OL Newbie

C:\ProgramData\Objectif Lune\PlanetPress Suite 7\PlanetPress Watch\ppwatch.~pw7 is old ?

#53556 - 06/14/16 04:06 PM Re: PP Suite Workflow Config - W1534 - Out of memory [Re: Roebie]
gleesons Offline
OL Newbie

When you undo/redo changes in the workflow application, the amount of memory that the ppwfg.exe process uses increases.
If the workflow application is never closed, this amount will continue to increase until it reaches a threshhold of around 1.5Gb, at which point it will corrupt your active config file.
This is most likely what caused the error message and why your ppwatch.cfg file is empty.
Unfortunately this means that there is no way to get your main ppwatch.cfg file back.
However, if you have autosave enable in preferences, it's possible you'll have a config file with the extension "._as" in your PlanetPress Watch folder. If you have that file, you can change the extension to ".pw7" and then load that configuration.

Suggestions:
Perhaps you can revert to an earlier OS backup that was created by Windows, which would have whichever version of the ppwatch.cfg was active at the time.
Otherwise I see no other option than the take note of your processes (screenshots, etc…) and to recreate them. As unideal as that sounds.
I suggest that when you make changes to your configuration to work on a separate saved copy and only send that to the workflow once you’ve finished making changes. That way if the configuration ever gets messed up, you’ll have some older versions you can revert back to and you can be sure that your ppwatch.cfg will be safe.
You may also want to disable the undo/redo options in order to prevent this, or close the workflow application when the user is finished using it.

#53557 - 06/15/16 02:15 AM Re: PP Suite Workflow Config - W1534 - Out of memory [Re: Roebie]
Roebie Offline
OL Toddler

Imho it is rather unacceptable that such a memory leak problem exists and that the users are not informed of it. This after all is a major bug. Dear moderators, I have to say that I expect the company to fix this issue in the next update.

I mean, it can't be that difficult to limit the number of undo steps in order to keep the memory usage under that threshold of 1.5 Gb. Also it strikes me as rather weird that the application allows itself to overwrite a good .pw7 file with a corrupt one. It must be possible to first write it to %temp%, then check its file size and maybe do some other checks like is it still readable, and only then overwrite the previous good .pw7 file.

I do agree that it's stupid of us not to have a decent backup working (we're a company in transition and while we're working on putting our backup system - amongst many other things - straight we just hadn't come to this server yet) but that shouldn't be an excuse for Planet Presss not fixing this bug.

#53558 - 06/15/16 07:54 AM Re: PP Suite Workflow Config - W1534 - Out of memory [Re: Roebie]
Philippe F. Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune, Montreal, Qc
Try this:
  • Make sure your Undo/Redo option is turned ON (in case you turned it off earlier)
  • Delete one of your processes. Pick the smallest possible one that you know you can recreate easily if anything goes wrong.
  • Try saving the config and check whether the file was saved properly

Before doing anything else, try Undo'ing the last action (when you deleted your process) to see if the application is able to recover it.

If the Undo method worked, it means you should be able to perform the above procedure several times until the save operation is successful. You may end up losing a few processes but it's better than losing everything.

Sorry I can't propose a complete fix but right now the first order of the day is trying to get you out of this predicament with as little impact as possible.
You will probably want to make notes on each process you delete.

#57687 - 09/17/20 09:04 AM Re: PP Suite Workflow Config - W1534 - Out of memory [Re: Roebie]
dvbsf Offline
OL Newbie

Loc: Florida
This happens on a regular basis, I try to save and resend the config on a regular basis but that is not feasible in a production environment.

There has to be a way to clear the memory without losing your current work

#57688 - 09/17/20 10:00 AM Re: PP Suite Workflow Config - W1534 - Out of memory [Re: Roebie]
Raphael Lalonde Lefebvre Offline
OL Expert

Loc: Objectif Lune Montreal
Hi dvbsf,

If you have issues, it would be best to start a new thread to describe your own specific problem, or contact Technical Support, as opposed to reviving very old threads.

Unfortunately, if memory is leaking, there is no "clear memory" options, it's not how it works. You can only clear it by restarting/killing the services. Instead, the solution is to find out exactly what causes the memory leaks and see how you can fix them. You may have specific actions in your processes that causes memory to build up.

I recommend that you contact Technical Support, and have them connect to your system, to help you figure out why the memory is building-up, and possible solutions.

Regards,
Raphaël Lalonde-Lefebvre

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >